how to extract Parallel Articles titles using JWPL

Ines Abbes

Nov 9, 2017, 8:07:40 AM11/9/17
to jwpl-users

Hi,

I need to get the parallel titles for Wikipedia articles. I mean for an article in French what is the title of the corresponding English article --if it exists. I am willing to use JWPL but I am not sure if this could be possible. So, could you please recommend any tutorials or guide me how to do it.

Thank you in advance.

Johannes Daxenberger

Nov 9, 2017, 12:25:39 PM11/9/17
to jw...@googlegroups.com, ‪Abbes Ines‬ ‪‬

Dear Ines,

we you want to do used to be possible before Wikipedia started to use WikiData [1] for managing interwiki language links. Links to other language versions of the same article were given in the source of the article. JWPL can access and parse to source (wikitext) of an article, but since in current dumps articles’ sources will not contain any such links, JWPL is probably not the right choice for you. It might still be helpful if you need access to the content of articles, not just their titles.

Further information on interlanguage links can be found e.g. at [2] and [3].

Best,

Johannes

[1] https://www.wikidata.org

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Interlanguage_links