IP Address(?)

1 view

Dan B

Jul 13, 2009, 7:41:40 PM7/13/09
to JustHumans
Hi All-
I know JH tracks IP addresses, because if I choose to be sent an email
with every post, the user IP address is included.

Is it possible to pass this IP address along to the re-post URL with
the rest of the POST? I know I can have a "hidden" field with the IP
address included, but it would be possible for this to be tampered
with, I think. I'd prefer if JH added the IP field at the JH stage,
to ensure it can't be tampered.

Also, on my re-post URL, I've limited the access to only the JH IP
address, so it's impossible for the page to be used by any other
service. Will the JH IP Address be steadily static? It hasn't
changed in the past few weeks as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Dan

Anders Brownworth

Jul 13, 2009, 10:14:55 PM7/13/09
to justh...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

I don't have the remote IP included in the re-post. I'd have to think about how to do that without messing up people's existing usage. Let me think about that one.

JH won't change IPs anytime soon. We did change about 1.5 years ago to move to a new server farm but there are no plans to make a change for the foreseeable future. I'll post to the list before making a move like that.

Thanks for using JustHumans.com.

-Anders
--
-Anders
Anders Brownworth

Daniel B

Jul 14, 2009, 5:28:54 AM7/14/09
to JustHumans
Thanks for the prompt reply Anders.

Since JH doesn't utilise GET variables, the IP address could be
utilised into the request using this method. IP addresses are
obviously limited in length, so there's no chance of exceeding the
limited GET length.

I could easily be missing something, just a suggestion!!!

Cheers,
Dan