CFP: ALP2023: JURIX 2023 WORKSHOP ON AI, LAW AND PHILOSOPHY

Leeuwen, van, L.S.

Sep 17, 2023, 6:39:59 AM9/17/23
to hybrid-intellige...@googlegroups.com, jurix-fo...@googlegroups.com, co...@list.tuwien.ac.at, arg...@yorku.ca, Plan...@kr.org, siks...@cs.uu.nl, gro...@ai.rug.nl, araszki...@gmail.com
Dear reader,

We would like to invite you to submit your paper to our workshop ALP2023. The workshop brings together enthusiastic young researchers and experienced experts interested in the interface between AI, law and philosophy. In this way, we aim to connect to the `computational legal theory' tradition in the field of AI and law. The workshop is organized in connection with the JURIX 2023 conference in Maastricht.

These are exciting times for the field of AI & law: at the same time we read that an AI system passes the bar exam, and also that lawyers submit computer-generated briefs to court—which turn out to be filled with legal bogus. In this workshop, we aim to take the time for philosophical reflection of where we stand and what can be expected.

Questions to be discussed include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Can large language models solve legal cases and explain their reasoning?

  • Is it enough when AI systems outperform humans in doing a legal task? And, in this connection, what do we mean by ‘outperform’?

  • What is legal interpretation, computationally?

  • What is legal justification, computationally?

  • What is legal fact finding, computationally?

  • What is law, computationally?

  • How do rules and cases (and principles) interact, computationally?

  • Can AI systems do proper law by data collection alone, or is a human in the loop necessary?

  • Should we admit AI systems in official legal functions? Why (not)?

  • What are the differences between natural and artificial intelligence that justify a different role in legal practice?

  • Are AI systems inherently more dangerous than existing legal mechanisms in society (corporations, governmental organisations, legislative bodies)?

Submission guidelines

We welcome submissions of 4-12 pages (using the IOS formatting guidelines). A selection will be made on the basis of workshop-level reviewing focusing on overall quality, relevance and diversity.

Submission deadline

October 27, 2023

Notification

November 20, 2023