DEON Seminar Series Autumn Edition: Marija Slavkovik – Nov 24

Réka Markovich

Nov 18, 2022, 4:58:37 AM11/18/22
to jurix-fo...@googlegroups.com
The Society of Deontic Logic and Normative Systems (DEON) has launched a seasonal online seminar series designed to promote interdisciplinary cooperation amongst scholars interested in linking the formal-logical study of normative concepts, normative language, and normative systems with computer science, artificial intelligence, linguistics, philosophy, organization theory, and law. We view the seminar series as an opportunity to keep in touch with the DEON community and listen in or contribute to presentations and informal discussions on ongoing work. Everyone who is interested in this wonderful area and its questions is welcome.
We are happy to announce that our speaker for the DEON autumn seminar will be
Marija Slavkovik
(University of Bergen)
Finding Common Ground for Incoherent Horn Expressions
Autonomous systems that operate in a shared environment with people need to be able to follow the rules of the society they occupy. While laws are unique for one society, different people and institutions may use different rules to guide their conduct. We study the problem of reaching a common ground among possibly incoherent rules of conduct. We formally define a notion of common ground and discuss the main properties of this notion. Then, we identify three sufficient conditions on the class of Horn expressions for which common grounds are guaranteed to exist. We provide a polynomial time algorithm that computes common grounds, under these conditions. We also show that if any of the three conditions is removed then common grounds for the resulting (larger) class may not exist.
Date and time: November 24, 2pm – 3:30pm CET
Zoom data:
https://umd.zoom.us/j/89287004976
Meeting ID: 892 8700 4976
Virtual gathering: join us for a virtual gathering on wonder.me after the talk! No registration is needed, just follow this link: https://www.wonder.me/r?id=3536c0e5-c486-4ff2-876a-91e569f4190b
Please check this website to see our previous events:
We hope to see you on the 24th of November!
Ilaria Canavotto, Huimin Dong, and Réka Markovich
DEON Seminar Series organizers
======== Guidelines of Participation =========
1) Please MUTE your microphone during the talk and during the Q&A unless you have been called on to ask a question. (And please do not ask questions or follow-ups in the Q&A unless you’ve been called on – i.e., no interrupting).
2) If you would like to ask a question during the Q&A, please use the “raise hand” tool on Zoom.
3) Please frame your questions in a constructive and collegial spirit!
Many thanks in advance!