Arrow in Jupyter

Chang She

Oct 23, 2022, 4:24:25 PM10/23/22
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hi, just curious if anyone’s played with using Arrow to ship data between languages in jupyter/ipython, specifically python and js (that doesn’t require a flight server or writing the data to disk).

Eg, can I call do something like IPython.kernel.execute(“table.filter(…)”) and read the results directly into arrowjs instead of converting from plain text / json?

Thanks!

Chang

Tim Paine

Oct 23, 2022, 4:55:28 PM10/23/22
to jup...@googlegroups.com
In perspective we send arrows via binary buffers from python to JS (though we read them into arrow c++ via web assembly, not arrowjs).

Eg, can I call do something like IPython.kernel.execute(“table.filter(…)”) and read the results directly into arrowjs instead of converting from plain text / json?

Thanks!

Chang

Chang She

Oct 23, 2022, 5:27:32 PM10/23/22
to jup...@googlegroups.com
that looks amazing. thanks tim.
Are you using the built-in ipython.kernel.execute machinery to do the python-js communication? Or did you end up setting up your own custom mechanism for it?

Thanks,

Chang