possibly removing qtconsole from jupyter metapackage

Paul Ivanov

Dec 12, 2023, 7:59:40 PM12/12/23
to jup...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jovyans!

 I wanted to start a conversation about the possibility of removing qtconsole from the base jupyter metapackage. QT is quite a heavy dependency. At 90 Mb, it is roughly 3 times larger than a complete python language installation and I would venture to guess that the vast majority of our users do not use it.

I've opened a thread with a poll on the Jupyter Discourse and you can also chime in on the Jupyter metapackage issue.

This would affect you if you don't currently install qtconsole directly, and rely on it being installed when you install jupyter, so I'd like to get a sense of how many people would be affected by such a change, and what your thoughts around that are.

Please chime in here or in one of those two places. I've also pinned a qtconsole issue announcing this proposal.

best,
pi
--
                   _
                  / \

Paul Ivanov

Dec 14, 2023, 5:49:39 PM12/14/23
to jup...@googlegroups.com

Jason Weill

Dec 14, 2023, 7:03:09 PM12/14/23
to Project Jupyter
Thanks! As a tip, I recommend adding hashtags to Mastodon posts, to facilitate discovery. I follow #jupyter, for example, so I get all posts that include that hashtag in my feed. The Fediverse, by its nature, doesn't lend itself well to centralized search engines, so hashtags help to propagate content instead.