Problem installing nbgrader in Docker container

jsco...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2021, 1:07:13 PM7/29/21
to Teaching with Jupyter Notebooks
Hi All --

I built a Docker container for my class.  It uses jupyter/scipy-notebook as the base and adds layers for extra stuff we use.

I also want to build a container to use when grading projects.  I want this container to be based on my main container and then install nbgrader (my goal is to make sure my graders and students all have the same environment).

I'm getting an "incompatible environment" error.  It seems the Python installed in scipy-notebook is 3.9.6, but the "conda install" command tells me nbgrader requires ">-3.8,<3.9.0a0'.

I'm able to install nbgrader via pip in a Python 3.9.6 environment.  Any suggestions for how to find a version conda can install (I'm not a conda user, so I'm not sure where to start looking).

Thanks....

John

werne...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2021, 5:34:35 PM7/29/21
to jsco...@gmail.com, Teaching with Jupyter Notebooks
Hi John, when installing with pip this might be an issue with triatlets v5.0.5. For some reason PyPi has this release marked as published but sometimes the pip install nbgrader command won’t work because it requires this dependency and pip can’t find it.

Perhaps this would help:

2. cd nbgrader
3. Edit the  setup.py to downgrade the traitlets package
4. Run pip install .

Greg

On Jul 29, 2021, at 1:07 PM, jsco...@gmail.com <jsco...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All --