ANN: Updates available for Algebra-with-Sympy package...

Jonathan Gutow

Mar 24, 2022, 8:47:40 PM3/24/22
to Teaching with Jupyter Notebooks
I would like to make everyone aware of an update to the Algebra-with-Sympy package. This is a working implementation of algebraic manipulation of equations with the relational operator "=". It allows for pretty algebraic manipulations in Jupyter notebooks.

Updates since the last release include:
  • Equations labeled with their python name, if they have one.
  • Added flags to adjust human readable output and equation labeling.
  • Accept equation as function argument in any position.
  • First pass at solve() accepting equations.
  • Added override of root() to avoid warning messages.
  • More unit tests.
  • First pass at documentation.
Hope people find this useful. I have primarily been using it for producing answer keys for physical chemistry classes and for development of expressions for data analysis.

Regards,
Jonathan

Fernando Perez

Mar 25, 2022, 2:47:46 AM3/25/22
to Jonathan Gutow, Teaching with Jupyter Notebooks
Thanks for sharing, Jonathan, this looks like a wonderful tool! I wish I was teaching undergrad physics these days :)

Jason Moore

Mar 25, 2022, 3:46:04 AM3/25/22
to Fernando Perez, Jonathan Gutow, Teaching with Jupyter Notebooks
Yes, this is cool. It really belongs in core sympy! I hope that can happen one day!

Jason