On the use of roles in Jumper 2.0

Olivier

Oct 20, 2010, 12:02:41 PM10/20/10
to Jumper 2.0 Developers Group
Hello,

I've been playing around with Jumper for the past few days, thinking
of maybe using it for my work, and there is one question i haven't yet
been able to answer to : how do roles work in Jumper ? The further I
can get is creating member roles, but I don't understand how they
affect the whole thing (on a user / member / category level).

I'm hoping to find some answers here, thank you in advance.

Regards,

-Olivier

spe...@jumpernetworks.com

Oct 21, 2010, 1:18:41 PM10/21/10
to jump...@googlegroups.com, Olivier
Olivier,

Accounts in Jumper are really quite easy to create.

They allow for a number of specific accounts with varying levels of permissions in Jumper.

There are five default privilege groups.
  • Administrator sets up the system, controls user accounts, designs the site with settings, along with full publishing permissions.
  • Moderator has access to every part of the system except Settings. The moderator generally creates users, organizes categories and can manage Jumper 2.0 on a day to day basis
  • Editor can add, edit and delete their own and other users tag prifles, files, and comments. This is the person responsible for the overall content of your Jumper 2.0.
  • Contributor (trusted) these users can create tag profiles. A trusted Contributor can add, edit, delete or publish their own tag profiles and files. When they have created a tag profile and published it, the tag profile appears immediately in the search engine
  • Contributor (untrusted) these users can also create tag profiles, and can add edit or delete their own tag profiles and files. They cannot directly publish tag profiles. The profiles they create and files they upload do not appear in Jumper 2.0 immediately. They must be approved by an editor or a moderator. Once a tag profile or file is approved, the untrusted contributor can no longer edit it. Only trusted Contributors (and other higher privileged accounts) can edit an existing tag profile. Any users can comment on a tag profile, including untrusted contributors.
You can create Contributor accounts using the Members link on the menu.

To create or edit higher level accounts you must use the Administrator link on the menu.

I hope this helps.

We are committed to updating the documentation and will putting that on the Jumper website very soon. In addition, I will be adding this to the help guide in JumperProfiles.

Thanks.

Olivier

Oct 22, 2010, 9:17:15 AM10/22/10
to Jumper 2.0 Developers Group
Thank you for your answer Steve.

Nevertheless, as much as I understand how the accounts' system work, I
still don't understand where the "roles" come into the game. As I
explained before, i am able to create roles, but it seems that I can't
do anything more than that. It is my understanding (and correct me if
i'm wrong) that I should, somehow, be able to affect these roles to my
users, but i can't find how / where to do it.

Also, I can see that there are indeed 5 default privilege groups,
which makes me think that there should be a way to create "non-
default" privilege groups, but i can't see any way to do that either
(well, i've been able to add some by manually inserting data in the
MySQL DB and in the language files, but i was looking for something
more straight forward :) ).

Regards,

-Olivier

spe...@jumpernetworks.com

Oct 22, 2010, 1:14:22 PM10/22/10
to jump...@googlegroups.com
Olivier,

I see the issue that you are having. This is a bug. You can create roles but the field to assign them to members is not appearing. Not sure why. We need to open this as a reported bug and look into it.

It should work as follows.

Roles allow you to control user access to tag profiles.

Roles are set up as a hierarchy of users. The roles specifically control which tag profiles each user can see based on the role they are assigned to.

Roles are set up as basic groups. When you mark an entry as private to a specific role then users with this role  have access to the tag profile. Users who are not assigned that role will not be able to search or access the tag profile.

You create roles through the menu bar by clicking on Members.

Once you click on members there are two tabs. A members tab and a roles tab.

You first create roles. This is very simple. Click on the roles tab and then click the 'Add New' button. Then provide a name and description for the new role that you are creating. There is a small naming that we need to clean up. The roles name incorrectly says 'Tag Profile Name' and should say 'Roles Name'.

Once the role is created you can now go back to the Members tab and add a new user and assign them to a specific role. Users can be assigned to multiple roles. The roles are managed through the members file menu.

Thanks for noting this as something has changed between version releases and this feature is not working.

Jumper team.

Nov 2, 2010, 10:05:28 PM11/2/10
to Jumper 2.0 Developers Group
Hi Steve:

I'm a newbie here and need to be able to assign roles to members. Do
you have a patch in the works to fix the bug about assigning roles?

So far Jumper looks great!

Have a DYNAMIC day!

On Oct 22, 1:14 pm, <spe...@jumpernetworks.com> wrote:
> Olivier,
>

> I see the issue that you are having. This is a bug. You can create roles but the field to assign them to members is not appearing. Not sure why. We need to open this as a reported bug and look into it.
>

> It should work as follows.
>

> Roles allow you to control user access to tag profiles.
>

> Roles are set up as a hierarchy of users. The roles specifically control which tag profiles each user can see based on the role they are assigned to.
>

> Roles are set up as basic groups. When you mark an entry as private to a specificrolethen users with this role  have access to the tag profile. Users who are not assigned that role will not be able to search or access the tag profile.

Olivier

Nov 3, 2010, 6:53:08 AM11/3/10
to Jumper 2.0 Developers Group
Hi Fred,

As Steve mentionned it in his previous email, a bug has been opened
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=3093124&group_id=183710&atid=906336), but it doesn't
look like the "problem" has been taken care of yet.

I hope it will be soon, because just like you, this is one of the
functionalities that attracted me to Jumper in the first place.

Have a good day,

-Olivier

Fred Berni

Nov 3, 2010, 11:18:41 AM11/3/10
to Jumper 2.0 Developers Group
Thanks Olivier.

Any idea how I can get the last version that worked with Roles? I'm
stymied until I can define roles and am under a bit of pressure to get
this up and running. The sourceforge download only shows 2.0.1.9

Have a DYNAMIC day!
Fred

spe...@jumpernetworks.com

Nov 3, 2010, 9:37:38 PM11/3/10
to jump...@googlegroups.com
I have not had much time to dig into this.

Let me take a look tomorrow. The code is there but the fields do not appear.

I can post an update tomorrow.

Steve