Support for SAR image processing

André Lage

May 3, 2015, 4:00:57 PM5/3/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if theres is any support for SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar)* image processing for Julia. I am not an expert in image processing, I just wanna know what currently exits and future plans in this context.

Thank you in advance,

André Lage.

Will Kearney

May 3, 2015, 4:30:07 PM5/3/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi André,

It depends on what exactly you want to do. I'm not hugely familiar with the SAR data processing pipeline, but you might be able to cobble a workflow together out of a couple of different packages.

If you're looking just to process geoferenced SAR images, RasterIO.jl [1] gives you the ability to import georeferenced data into Julia using GDAL. You can pull the data out of that Raster and do whatever you like with it (though doing anything which depends on being properly georeferenced is not entirely possible at the moment). Images.jl [2] has some image processing algorithms built in, and you might be able to find other, more specific algorithms lying around depending on what you'd like to do.

If on the other hand, you want to generate SAR images from whatever raw data a SAR collects, as far as I know, you're probably out of luck in Julia at the moment.

I can point you in different directions if you have more specifics. If you have suggestions for functionality that you'd like to see, let us know. It always helps to know what people are interested in doing when we're designing these packages.

-Will

André Lage

May 27, 2015, 7:51:46 AM5/27/15
to Will Kearney, juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will,

Thanks for the answer. I'm interested in dealing with raw SAR images, after they leave SAR processors. Actually, mono-polarized, polarized, and fully polarimetric SAR images. Examples of features I'd like see include: multi-temporal data analysis as it includes most basic and advanced image processing techniques.

Best regards,

André Lage.