[ANN] Geodesy.jl

Sean Garborg

Jan 19, 2015, 4:32:01 PM1/19/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
We've just split it out from OpenStreetMap.jl. It has been expanded slightly from what OpenStreetMap.jl supported, the code has been tightened up, testing expanded, and enhancement ideas have been added to the issues page, in addition to anything anyone here needs for their work.

The package currently lives at https://github.com/garborg/Geodesy.jl, but I'd like to create an appropriate Julia* organization at some point and transfer ownership there -- I don't have much context for how the various geo fields overlap -- is JuliaGeo a good organization name, or the wrong scope? (Also mentioned was JuliaGeospatial. JuliaStats encompasses statistics and machine learning, and it seems like there are other broad organizations, but I have no idea whether a more granular split would make sense.)

Yee Sian Ng

Jan 19, 2015, 4:48:06 PM1/19/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks garborg! I am using shapely/fiona/geopandas in python for now, and am interested to see julia alternatives. I think it will be great if we can have a JuliaGeo organization, with wrappers for GDAL (and OGR), GEOS, and NetCDF (similar to the toblerity project) as a first order priority.

Sean Garborg

Jan 20, 2015, 10:56:38 AM1/20/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
That would be great! I'm setting up the organization now.

Will Kearney

Jan 20, 2015, 11:12:33 AM1/20/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sean for setting up an organization for us! I think that'll be a good step towards solidifying an infrastructure and a community for geospatial stuff in Julia.

Like I mentioned in https://github.com/tedsteiner/OpenStreetMap.jl/issues/9, I've got a GDAL.jl package which wraps the GDAL library, but I haven't really worked on it for a while. I'll give it a once-over today, open some issues about some things that I think need work, and then maybe we can move it over to the new organization.

-Will

J Luis

Jan 20, 2015, 8:57:05 PM1/20/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Will,

If you are interested I Clang'd.jl a recent did that a couple months ago) GDAL source tree. You may get them from here

w3.ualg.pt/~jluis/ftp/tmp/GDAL_jl.zip

Joaquim

Yeesian Ng

Jan 27, 2015, 2:11:47 AM1/27/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
This is great, thanks Joaquim! One of these days I'll get around to write a package for OGR. I'm hoping someone else will beat me to it though :p