RFC: New package listing

Iain Dunning

Mar 27, 2014, 3:29:29 PM3/27/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I wanted to share with a wider group the new package listing I've been working on.

Highlights:
- Search by name and author
- Filter by license, test status, supported versions of Julia
- Developers can see test logs
- All names exported by module

Its currently a bit heavy because it pulls in a 0.5MB JSON and builds the page dynamically, which is a bit rough on phones.

Somethings I'd like to do:
- Hide the test logs by default maybe - scary for people just looking for packages.
- Search over all READMEs
- Load test logs on-request to reduce the JSON/page size
- Build the page server side (only has to be done once per day) and just use JS to show/hide

I'm not that experienced with front-end web development so if you have feedback or PRs please drop by the GitHub repository https://github.com/IainNZ/packages.julialang.org/ and file an issue.

Cheers,
Iain

Keith

Mar 27, 2014, 4:02:51 PM3/27/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I like the search feature.  Thanks for putting this together.
Keith

Jake Bolewski

Mar 27, 2014, 5:37:37 PM3/27/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Looks great!   I feel that putting the search functions in a collapsable sidebar might be a nicer UI.