How to cite Julia in publications?

Umberto

Aug 20, 2012, 7:34:59 AM8/20/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
This is directed to the Julia core team:

how to properly cite Julia in scientific publications? Any suggested BibTeX entry?

Thanks

Stefan Karpinski

Aug 20, 2012, 1:50:06 PM8/20/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, are we getting an official tech report number for that paper from MIT? That seems like the best way to cite Julia at this point.

Viral Shah

Aug 21, 2012, 12:20:42 PM8/21/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the best way would be to cite the julia paper we just put on the blog. We will soon get a TR number for it, and publish a bibtex entry / how to cite / etc.

-viral

Miguel Bazdresch

Sep 23, 2012, 5:58:48 PM9/23/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Are there any updates on this? I just had a paper accepted to SIMUL 2012 (in Lisbon). The paper is about a project I'm doing in Julia and I want to make sure I cite it properly. Currently I have:

@inproceedings{Julia,
    author = "Jeff Bezanzon and Stefan Karpinski and Viral Shah and Alan Edelman",
    booktitle = "Lang.{NEXT}",
    year = "2012",
    month = apr,
    title = "Julia: A Fast Dynamic Language for Technical Computing",
    url = "http://julialang.org/images/lang.next.pdf"
}

I'll share details on my paper soon, when I have time.

Thanks,

-- mb

Fernando Perez

Sep 23, 2012, 8:24:10 PM9/23/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Stefan Karpinski <ste...@karpinski.org> wrote:
> Jeff, are we getting an official tech report number for that paper from MIT?
> That seems like the best way to cite Julia at this point.

Can you guys put it up in the arXiv? Arxiv IDs are in many fields
considered almost as good as DOIs (well, they pretty much *were* the
DOIs in particle physics back in the day, before DOIs existed).

Just a thought...

Viral Shah

Sep 23, 2012, 11:43:39 PM9/23/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Good idea. Arxiv is the simplest thing to do. I'll do it right away.

-viral

Viral Shah

Sep 26, 2012, 2:45:02 PM9/26/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Uploaded to arxiv. Please use that to cite for now.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.5145

-viral

--
-viral

Fernando Perez

Sep 26, 2012, 3:59:02 PM9/26/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Viral Shah <vi...@mayin.org> wrote:
> Uploaded to arxiv. Please use that to cite for now.
>
> http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.5145

Tip #2 Put an easy to see link on the site on 'Citing Julia' that
takes people to this, along with a copy-paste ready entry in Bibtex
and Plaintext, e.g.:

http://ipython.org/citing.html

You want to make it as easy as possible for people to cite you, and as
difficult as possible for them to miss the fact that they should :)

Cheers,

Stefan Karpinski

Sep 26, 2012, 4:15:06 PM9/26/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Fernando, you are clearly a pro at this :-)

Fernando Perez

Sep 26, 2012, 8:36:26 PM9/26/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Stefan Karpinski
<stefan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fernando, you are clearly a pro at this :-)

Hey, if I was, I'd be doing better and swimming in funding ;) But at
least I try!

Ultimately, it's just the academic version of Amazon's one-click
patent, the one-click citation. Pander to the stark reality of human
laziness and you shall profit!

Viral Shah

Sep 26, 2012, 10:26:25 PM9/26/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is time to have a publications section on the website.

-viral

--
-viral

Tobias Verbeke

Sep 26, 2012, 4:30:42 PM9/26/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
One could also - as is done in R - add a citation function
that includes the reference and bibtex entry such that
users can access the information from within Julia
as well.

Best,
Tobias