Low volume announcement mailing list

Jay Weisskopf

May 6, 2015, 1:09:30 AM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Is there a julia-announce mailing list? If not, I propose one be created. I don't follow development very closely, but would like to have release and other major announcements pushed to me.

John Myles White

May 6, 2015, 1:20:17 AM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
+1 for julia-news

Marcus Appelros

May 6, 2015, 1:22:23 AM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

+2

Tony Kelman

May 6, 2015, 5:02:05 AM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
If someone wants to create a julia-news that also forwards to julia-users, I can try to remember to send release announcements there. What else counts as "major?" Things like big breaking changes on master?

There are the "this month in Julia" threads on reddit.com/r/julia, that could use a few more people posting things to them.

Stefan Karpinski

May 6, 2015, 10:59:47 AM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Created: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/julia-news. I'm not sure that we can make one group forward to another, however.

Steven G. Johnson

May 6, 2015, 11:12:49 AM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Should new-package announcements also go to julia-news?

John Myles White

May 6, 2015, 11:17:16 AM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping anything that would have ANN as a tag would go to julia-news.

-- John

Jay Weisskopf

May 6, 2015, 11:25:23 AM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
> Should new-package announcements also go to julia-news?

I think that will still be too high volume. Ideally it will be release announcements and catastrophic issue bulletins only. Package announcements should go in julia-users.

David Anthoff

May 6, 2015, 12:35:15 PM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

I agree. The threshold should be “every (well almost) Julia users cares about this news”. New packages in my opinion don’t cross that threshold. If that list has one email every couple of months, perfect.

Josh Langsfeld

May 6, 2015, 1:14:28 PM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I think it's a bit odd to rely on reddit for content generation when we already have two well-trafficked mailing lists. I would like to see a monthly (bimonthly?/weekly?) thread on julia-users where anyone can make note of what changes have happened. Then maybe someone can spend 30 min curating the list and put it on a website that would be posted to reddit and to julia-news / julia-announce.

Viral Shah

May 6, 2015, 2:01:28 PM5/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
A pull request to the JuliaLang blog will be appreciated for such an effort.

-viral