Re: Parallella?

Viral Shah

Feb 10, 2013, 3:35:51 PM2/10/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Looks like it uses ARM. Although there are a couple of ongoing efforts, I haven't yet heard of a successful ARM port.

See:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=julia&suite=sid

-viral

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:31:43 AM UTC+5:30, maas wrote:
Is anyone working with  Julia on the Parallella platform?

'Making parallel computing easy to use has been described as "a problem as hard
as any that computer science has faced". With such a big challenge ahead, we need
to make sure that every programmer has access to cheap and open parallel hardware
and development tools. Inspired by great hardware communities like Raspberry Pi and
Arduino, we see a critical need for a truly open, high-performance computing platform
that will close the knowledge gap in parallel programing. The goal of the Parallella
project is to democratize access to parallel computing.'

Parallella may well be "a great use case for Julia?" and while there are no "specific
plans in the works for Julia on Parallella ... given Parallella boards ship with Ubuntu ...
and given ... Julia runs great on Ubuntu, in theory it should work right out of the box?"

Toivo Henningsson

Feb 10, 2013, 10:05:11 PM2/10/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Also, I think that the real interest would be to be able to use Julia to program and interact with the Epiphany multicore accelerator, an undertaking which could be at least as complicated as you want it to be :)

Xiaodong Qi

Oct 30, 2014, 11:15:15 AM10/30/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I would support this idea of combining the power of parallel computing
language and hardware--Julia and Parallela. Any followup on this thread? I
still found a whole bunch of failed trials on ARM ports... Wish the core team
of Julia can give a push.

Joseph Curtin

Oct 30, 2014, 11:23:22 AM10/30/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
What is the main difficulty with the Julia port to ARM?

--
Software Architect
-Joseph Curtin

Jiahao Chen

Oct 30, 2014, 3:26:59 PM10/30/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
> Any followup on this thread? I still found a whole bunch of failed trials on ARM ports... Wish the core team of Julia can give a push.

Have you looked at the Julia issues?
As with most open source projects, the best way to get something to happen is to try doing it and report any problems you encounter.

Thanks,

Jiahao Chen
Staff Research Scientist
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory