[GSoC] High performance GPU computing

Carter Hall

Mar 21, 2014, 1:50:54 AM3/21/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

My name is Carter Hall, and I'm a first-year university student studying Computer Engineering and Physics. I discovered Julia several months ago and immediately adopted it as my go-to project language. I was excited to see that Julia was accepted into this year's GSoC.

I've been interested in exploiting GPUs for high-performance computing for some time, so that specific GSoC project caught my eye. I have experience with linear algebra and Fourier transforms through my physics courses, as well as experience with C/C++ and low-level programming in general. I have also worked with Java, Python, and Clojure and am currently working through nVidia's GPU parallel programming course.

I'm new to the Julia community and have not yet contributed, but I'm working on implementing native Grisu algorithms per #5959 and will submit a pull request within the next couple of days. I will submit my GSoC proposal within the next couple of hours. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Thanks,

Carter Hall
University of Virginia SEAS '17

Jiahao Chen

Mar 21, 2014, 12:58:35 PM3/21/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your interest in the Julia GSoC program. If you haven't
already done so, please review our suggestions for material to include
in your proposal:

julialang.org/gsoc/guidelines

To repeat what is already mentioned there, participation in the Julia
community and/or code samples in Julia will be one of the most
important components of the application, and we would encourage you to
post your progress early and often on your own fork of Julia so that
other Julia developers may monitor your progress and give feedback as
necessary.

Thanks,

Jiahao Chen
Staff Research Scientist
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory