Pkg.publish() asks for a "host" password - what host?

Douglas Bates

Jun 16, 2014, 1:30:34 PM6/16/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
julia> Pkg.publish()
INFO: Validating METADATA
INFO: Pushing MixedModels permanent tags: v0.3.2
INFO: Submitting METADATA changes
INFO: Forking JuliaLang/METADATA.jl to dmbates
Enter host password for user 'dmbates':

What is the host here?  It seems that it must be the github password but

 a) I don't know why it is needed if there is already ssh authentication enabled

 b) Why does the message ask for "host password" if the github password is intended?

Douglas Bates

Jun 16, 2014, 1:34:28 PM6/16/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
And I should add that I have never been successful in using Pkg.publish().  I always get the error

ERROR: key not found: "token"

after the dialogue shown below.

Stefan Karpinski

Jun 16, 2014, 2:34:02 PM6/16/14
to Julia Dev
This is sort of my fault. Basically, this authentication only works on one machine – so you probably did this successfully somewhere, but not the machine you're currently on. I'm not clear on how to do this correctly so that it works on many machines using the GitHub auth API. If anyone understands this, it would be really helpful since this limitation is extremely annoying.

James Porter

Jun 18, 2014, 11:33:34 PM6/18/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing this also; never having tried to use Pkg.publish before on any machine. I use github HTTP authentication with the OSX keychain helper (as per here); do I have to be using SSH keys instead in order for Pkg.publish to work properly?

James Porter

Jun 18, 2014, 11:44:59 PM6/18/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Seems to work correctly after setting up github ssh keys.

wil...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2014, 11:15:02 PM7/25/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
You probably deleted your GutHub access token file. It is located in the Julia local package repository folder, file ".github/token". You can recreate this token by going to GitHub user profile > Applications > Personal access tokens > Julia Package Manager, click 'Regenerate' button and save the access token in .github/token file.