Re: API for embedding?

Viral Shah

Nov 20, 2012, 10:18:13 PM11/20/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Do see this discussion. I guess if we can have some people try to do this, and report their experiences, it can make its way into the documentation.

-viral

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:44:15 PM UTC+5:30, Tom wrote:

I didn't see anything in the documentation about embedding Julia inside another language or program. Is there documentation for such an API?

Tom

Stefan Karpinski

Nov 21, 2012, 11:39:43 AM11/21/12
to Julia Dev
In a sense, the Julia repl is a C application that embeds the libjulia runtime, so while it's not exactly documentation, you can look at repl.c as an example of doing this. There's also the recent support for generating C-callable functions from Julia code.

Tom

Nov 21, 2012, 7:40:08 PM11/21/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks; I was thinking about writing a Python binding. I'll wait until there is an API that's officially supported.

Tom

Tim Holy

Nov 22, 2012, 8:06:34 AM11/22/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 04:40:08 PM Tom wrote:
> Thanks; I was thinking about writing a Python binding. I'll wait until
> there is an API that's officially supported.

You can alternatively use ZeroMQ, plus some kind of serializer. Now that
there's a JSON parser, we're halfway there. Of course, something with higher
performance would be better. See old mailing list discussions about Thrift and
MessagePack. See also the Matlab interface in my github project page, which
uses the Julia serializer.

--Tim

lgautier

Nov 22, 2012, 10:41:39 AM11/22/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Interesting pointers. I did not know about MessagePack.

I am myself working on an embedded R for Julia, but after the model used by rpy2 (R process in embedded - as little copying done as possible).

L.

--Tim