Contributing to Julia

Yash Shrivastava

Jan 30, 2015, 5:36:31 AM1/30/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I am Yash, a second year undergraduate student of Computer  Science and Engineering at IIT Kharagpur, India. I have experience in programming in C, C++, Java and Python. I am a beginner at open source programming. I wanted to inquire about the projects I can contribute at Julia development as a part of GSoc 15. It would be great to be associated with such a wonderful organisation.

Regards,
Yash

Jiahao Chen

Jan 30, 2015, 2:42:45 PM1/30/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
The GSoC application period for projects is not yet open, but have a look at last year's projects:

We encourage all serious applicants to start writing Julia code and contribute as soon as possible, definitely _before_ applications open. Last year, we received over 35 applications for just 4 slots. Should we be selected to participate again in GSoC 2015, we expect that competition will be no less stiff.

Thanks,

Jiahao Chen
Staff Research Scientist
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory

Tim Holy

Jan 30, 2015, 3:45:06 PM1/30/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
One good way to dip your toe into the waters of Julia development is:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/9493

See also the CONTRIBUTING.md document (online at
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md).

Best,
--Tim

Yash Shrivastava

Feb 1, 2015, 9:11:39 AM2/1/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, for your time Tim and Jiahao. I am on it.