Visualisation with Processing

Vectorman

May 30, 2013, 3:56:25 AM5/30/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

There has been some discussion about the need for a robust and flexible visual functions for Julia.

One of the most powerful/fastest open source frameworks is processing http://www.processing.org/

Processing provides an interactively focused openGL accelerated 2D & 3D language.  It has been used in some very impressive ways... http://www.processing.org/exhibition/

I think it would provide Julia with an unrivaled visual fidelity and help researchers represent and approach complex multi-domain problems in new and innovative ways...

What do you guys think?

What would be the best way to integrate/use Processing with Julia?

Some cool relevant video examples:

Vectorman

Stefan Karpinski

May 30, 2013, 4:07:29 AM5/30/13
to Julia Dev
Does processing have a C library? As a language, it's hard to see how you would use if from Julia. Processing.js is a port of the language to the JavaScript platform; it's still not really a way to use Processing from JavaScript, it's really more about being able to run Processing code in the browser (presumably by transpiling to JS).

Максим Карандашов

May 30, 2013, 4:36:55 AM5/30/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
If you're talking about http://processing.org/ then this is Java library using Opengl. You can try to use JNI to call the Java code from Julia.

2013/5/30 Stefan Karpinski <ste...@karpinski.org>

--
Karandashov M.V. (Norgat)

Stefan Karpinski

May 30, 2013, 4:44:21 AM5/30/13
to Julia Dev
As far as I understand it, Processing is a Java-like language, not a Java library. There are already OpenGL bindings for Julia – calling OpenGL via Java via JNI is perverse.

Максим Карандашов

May 30, 2013, 5:06:07 AM5/30/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com

Processing has a Java library that can be used directly from Java. An example of the use of these libraries is shown on their website http://processing.org/learning/eclipse/.

2013/5/30 Stefan Karpinski <ste...@karpinski.org>

--
Karandashov M.V. (Norgat)

Diego Javier Zea

May 30, 2013, 10:52:29 AM5/30/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
This is the source code (on GitHub): https://github.com/processing/processing [ For the 'core' library, it's LGPL, for everything else, it's GPL. ]

Vectorman

May 31, 2013, 3:01:43 AM5/31/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
That's a shame, but perhaps it could provide some inspiration for the visual implementations that Julia adopts...

Robert Ennis

Jun 5, 2013, 12:24:27 PM6/5/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I've had intentions of finishing a Processing.jl port after the new OpenGL 2.x and up functionality is available (I have most of it tested and will be putting it up soon; just busy with a thesis at the moment). Check out:

http://www.github.com/rennis250/Processing.jl

It's currently unusable, but everyone and anyone is free to build on it.

--Rob