About OpenCV-Julia binding

Alexander Sun

Apr 21, 2014, 9:22:19 PM4/21/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi theres,

Although I was accepted by another project in GSoC 2014. But the OpenCV-Julia binding is the first candidate project in my heart. Maybe Julia is the first year to participate GSoC. So the number of slots that Google allocated are very conservative. BTW, could you please point out the shortcomings in my proposal? Thanks!

I noticed that some other friends also interested in OpenCV-Julia binding. This summer I need to finish my accepted project. If OpenCV-Julia still need me after August, I will try my best to make contribution to it.( No need to wait next year, I think.)

And Tim, thanks very much to your advices and help about my proposal. About OpenCV-Julia binding, after a fair consideration, in my humble opinion, I think we should use an abstract type to hold the opaque pointer of cv::Mat directly. Images and OpenCV library have lot of functional duplicated functions. I think  we should keep this to library separated for now., mix it will cause chaos. When conditions are ripe, we can adjust the OpenCV-Julia binding. Just like the history of OpenCV-Python binding did.

Any suggestions and comments will be highly appreciated!

Sun
Best wishes!

Tim Holy

Apr 22, 2014, 5:03:50 AM4/22/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sun,

Glad to hear that you've been accepted by another project, and I'm also glad
to hear that a Julia/OpenCV binding is high on your list.

As you probably know, I agree that the opaque pointer approach is the way to
go. Whether one chooses to integrate with Images is almost a separate issue. I
agree that the OpenCV binding could be developed separately; really, all you
need to implement to provide Images support are functions like `data`,
`sdims`, `pixelspacing`, etc. Then functions designed to work with Images
should also work with whatever type you choose for your wrapper.

Best of luck!
--Tim

khkim

Apr 23, 2014, 11:56:44 AM4/23/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I want to add +1 to need of OpenCV binding for julia language.
(It can be just for me because I'm familiar to OpenCV, but I think) OpenCV covers almost all function for image manipulation.

And about cv::gpu package. cv::gpu package has a lot of useful GPU kernels for image processing.
I am interested in GPU computing in julia. (My GSOC proposal was about that)

If there is a good OpenCV binding for julia language,
I want to implement to be able to use single GPU array with not only CUDA, OpenCL kernels but also cv::gpu functions in future.
To do that, I think there would be a good design for integrating cv::Mat and Array{T} but also cv::gpu::GpuMat and GpuArray (to be implemented)

I wish you need OpenCV-julia binding after this summer (I will need pratically)
Cheer up to your another GSOC project, too!

2014년 4월 22일 화요일 오전 10시 22분 19초 UTC+9, Alexander Sun 님의 말: