Travis CI and PPA

Jay Weisskopf

Mar 27, 2013, 1:08:35 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in setting up Travis CI for a package. However, Travis CI does not provide first-class language support for Julia. It is my understanding that dependencies can be installed in the Travis environment via apt-get, even from PPAs (personal package archives). This leads me to my question: is there an "official" PPA for the Julia language? I found https://launchpad.net/~opencpu/+archive/julia, but I am not sure what state it is in or who maintains it. Additionally, if any third-party Julia packages are currently using Travis CI, I'd be interested in seeing how it's setup.

- Jay

Jay Weisskopf

Mar 27, 2013, 1:29:55 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
So I just tested ppa:opencpu/julia. The good news is that the package
works correctly and installed painlessly. The bad news is that it is
0.1.x, and I need something newer that supports immutable types. If
there are no newer packages available anywhere, then I suppose I can
throw up my own.

Viral Shah

Mar 27, 2013, 1:36:01 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Until we have some automated nightly builds and PPAs, it would be best for you to package your own ppa.

-viral

Jay Weisskopf

Mar 27, 2013, 1:44:23 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Is generation of Debian packages already part of the build system or
documented anywhere?

Viral Shah

Mar 27, 2013, 2:08:38 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
You can see the original debian packge here for 0.1.x.

http://packages.debian.org/sid/julia

The best thing would be if staticfloat can tell us how he built his PPAs.

-viral

Jay Weisskopf

Mar 27, 2013, 5:52:42 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Relevant GitHub issue for bleeding-edge PPA:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/2031

Jeff Bezanson

Mar 27, 2013, 6:06:29 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
What I want in my wildest dreams is to have a nightly build that
installs every package, runs their tests, and automatically emails
failures to the appropriate maintainer. For both julia 0.1 and 0.2 of
course.

Alessandro "Jake" Andrioni

Mar 27, 2013, 6:59:21 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
By the way, do we have a standard way to do tests in packages?

John Myles White

Mar 27, 2013, 8:58:09 PM3/27/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Not that I'm aware of, but it seems easy enough to agree on a convention and enforce it. For all my packages, I've constructed a test directory and a run_tests.jl script that specifies and executes tests.

-- John

Neal Fultz

Mar 28, 2013, 11:27:11 AM3/28/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com, Jeroen Ooms
That PPA is run by Jeroen Ooms of the UCLA Stats dept (cc'd).

-Neal

Jeroen Ooms

Mar 28, 2013, 1:04:41 PM3/28/13
to Neal Fultz, juli...@googlegroups.com
The PPA are for ubuntu precise and quantal. They are backports of the current package in raring/sid.

I'm not sure what travis-ci does but if you install deb packages on a different system than they were built, bad things might happen.