500 € for an in-18 of École des Robinsons?

mken...@aol.com

Mar 28, 2021, 7:41:34 PMMar 28
to Jules Verne Forum
Bonjour les connaisseurs,

Deadbeat bidders at work? Or maybe it’s really worth a lot of money? Can you imagine why people bid so much for that copy?

Bien cordialement
Matthias

Manuel Guillermo Gómez Paz

Mar 29, 2021, 7:09:27 PMMar 29
to Jules Verne Forum

   Perhaps a revival of the Kolderup/Taskinar´s auction bids?

mken...@aol.com

Apr 4, 2021, 5:57:28 PM (9 days ago) Apr 4
to Jules Verne Forum
That must be it, since there is no other explanation :D

Well, a fellow member (you may know him) of the German Jules Verne Club wrote in an e-mail that maybe some special aficionados all fancied this copy and entered a bidding race.

That’s possible. And we all know that in a bidding race "monomanie" and "amour-propre" can come into play. We know that because we’ve read it in Un billet de loterie ;)
"La dernière surenchère était de huit mille marks — ce qui ne pouvait s’expliquer que par une véritable monomanie, à moins qu’il ne s’agît là d’une question d’amour-propre entre l’Amérique et la Grande-Bretagne." https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Un_billet_de_loterie/XIV

Best wishes
Matthias

Manuel Guillermo Gómez Paz

Apr 4, 2021, 9:08:25 PM (9 days ago) Apr 4
to Jules Verne Forum

Yes; it would be just amour-propre. That is the same explanation of the Kolderup/Taskinar exaggerated bids: “Énormément riches tous les deux, ces mortels ennemis. Ce ne serait donc plus qu’une question d’amour-propre” (L´École des Robinsons, Ch. III, https://freeditorial.com/es/books/l-ecole-des-robinsons/readonline

Cheers,
Guillermo

mken...@aol.com

Apr 10, 2021, 5:13:08 PM (3 days ago) Apr 10
to Jules Verne Forum
Next one:
Nearly 650 € (648,49 € including shipping (inside Germany)). It’s not even the original edition, although the seller says so („Erstausgabe“); you can tell from the frontis, which is the second version. Also, it’s not an original "cartonnage Hetzel" but a private binding, it that is the correct term.
Any idea what’s so valuable about that copy? The coat of arms on the cover? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbols_of_Brussels
It was on offer on ebay’s German site, but it says worldwide shipping. Even if only German bidders bid on it you’d expect someone who buys a book in French to be able to read French, in other words: to be able to have a look at ebay’s French site, too… where – at least I think so – copies similar to the one in question can be had at significantly lower prices.

Best wishes
Matthias