a "gold" meteor

quentin skrabec

Jan 14, 2023, 1:33:58 PM1/14/23
to Jules Verne Forum

Doing some research on Verne and geology – recent articles of the last few months suggest another Verne prediction might come true! My article is six months away – but the “golden meteor” note should be of immediate interest to members.

In 1901 Verne wrote The Chase of the Golden Meteor, a story of a chase to bring down and locate a gold meteor. Verne did not put gold on the high level that he did coal. Gold, in his view, was the cause of civilization's decline. The Chase of the Golden Meteor details the market and banking system impacted by a huge gold meteor. Amazingly, NASA in 2022 is looking to visit a “gold meteor”, a potential meteorite of precious minerals.  NASA is planning to visit an asteroid named 16 Psyche, made of gold and other precious metals! The problem is the exact issues that Verne based his novel on! The minerals in 16 Psyche asteroids are worth $700 quintillion, giving everyone on the planet $93 billion.

You can google but here is one today

“ Inside NASA’s mission to probe ‘golden’ asteroid’ “  By Harry Pettit, New York Post January 10, 2023, Originally in The Sun April 22, 2022

Quent

dsa...@me.com

Jan 14, 2023, 2:51:43 PM1/14/23
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 14, 2023, at 1:33 PM, quentin skrabec <qrsk...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

At which point, those "precious metals" become as valuable as rocks.

One point where Verne makes his opinion of gold clear is in chapter 14 of book II of Children of Captain Grant, after they visit some Australian gold mines:

“So, Monsieur Paganel,” said young Robert. “Where we are now, under our feet, perhaps, there is a lot of gold.”

“Yes, my boy, millions! We walk on it. We look down on it. I suppose you could say we despise it.”

“This Australia is quite a privileged country, isn’t it?”

“No, Robert,” replied the geographer; “The countries with gold are by no means privileged. They breed only sluggish populations, never strong and laborious. Look at Brazil, Mexico, California, and this Australia. Where are they in this nineteenth century? The country par excellence, my boy, is not the land of gold. It is the land of iron!”

He also has his engineer, Cyrus Smith, give the opinion that hydrogen will be the fuel of the future, replacing coal, in The Mysterious Island.

quentin

Jan 14, 2023, 8:27:02 PM1/14/23
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Forgot to say thank you – always looking for info on Verne and metals

Quentin R. Skrabec Jr., Ph.D.

St. Eloi Consulting

qrsk...@gmail.com

6609 Buck Creek

Maumee, Ohio 43537

Cell 419 349 0933

rfb...@aol.com

Jan 16, 2023, 7:24:00 AM1/16/23
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
The "gold meteor" was first considered by Verne as one of the possible conclusions for HECTOR SERVADAC (Gallia making Earthfall and proving largely composed of precious metals, the value of gold would plunge to worthless -- specifically agonizing the greedy trader Habakuk in the story.) Verne's difficulties in how to finish that novel led some translators to substitute their own!
Ross