I Published "Five Weeks in a Balloon"!

Phineas G

Sep 25, 2021, 5:11:58 PM9/25/21
to Jules Verne Forum
Hello Verne Fans,
I'm a student from Texas who happens to be a huge fan of Jules Verne! I'm also a new member of the NAJVS.
     As a hobby project, and a chance to put into practice my research into the art of typesetting, I decided I would compile, typeset, and self-publish an edition of Five Weeks in A Balloon! I chose this book for a few reasons:
1. It was Verne's first published novel.
2. There is an acceptable translation in the public domain.
3. I was able to find high-resolution digital images of all of the original illustrations.
4. There are not too many nice editions of this book in print..
     It took about a year of work and waiting, but it's finally done! It is a hard cover book which features the "William Lackland" translation and all 79 of the original illustrations. I also did my best to be sure it is beautifully typeset.
     As I said, this is a hobby project, and the goal is not to make a profit, but if you are interested in purchasing this book, you can do so here: https://www.blurb.com/b/10843153-five-weeks-in-a-balloon . It costs about $26, and I get about $6 of that. If you do buy it, I would love to hear your feedback, so I can improve on future projects. Please contact me at phinea...@outlook.com if you have any comments or suggestions, or reply to this thread!

Thank you so much for your time,
Phineas Greene

Dennis Kytasaari

Oct 8, 2021, 2:26:07 PM10/8/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Phineas,

I received my copy of this edition today.  It is very well done.  Congratulations on all your hard work!!!

-djk

 Dennis Kytasaari  d...@epguides.com  http://epguides.com/

                                  http://epguides.com/djk/

  Jules Verne- "Mobilis in Mobile"    http://najvs.org/

President and Membership Coordinator  na...@ibiblio.org

   North American Jules Verne Society, Inc.

Hardwicke Benthow

Oct 10, 2021, 1:38:50 PM10/10/21
to Jules Verne Forum
How does the visual quality of the illustrations in your edition compare to those in the Wesleyan University Press edition?

Phineas G

Oct 11, 2021, 2:30:41 PM10/11/21
to Jules Verne Forum
I'm not sure, as I don't own a copy of that edition. What I can say is that the images come from scans of fairly high quality,  and are printed at about 350 DPI. They looks sharp on the page.

Dennis Kytasaari