Reading Copy of "Master of the World"

Phineas G

Mar 25, 2022, 11:30:21 AM3/25/22
to Jules Verne Forum
Hello All,

I've been hunting around for a reading copy of the Cranstoun Metcalfe translation of Master of the World, one of the remaining Verne titles I have yet to read. Despite there being several editions in this translation, I have only been able to find one book for sale: a Fitzroy Edition being listed on AbeBooks for $140 USD! There isn't even a photo of the copy accompanying the listing. Is this what these books usually go for? Does anyone have any leads as to where I could get my hands on a reasonably priced reading copy of this translation?

Thanks,
Phineas

Muratore, Joseph

Mar 25, 2022, 12:07:00 PM3/25/22
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Hi –

There is a Lulu Press edition of The Annotated Robur which includes both novels. This was published by Ron Miller a while ago and it cost $25.

It still seems to be available at

https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/jules-verne/the-annotated-robur/paperback/product-159nzqzz.html?page=1&pageSize=4

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Joe Muratore

james

Mar 25, 2022, 1:26:04 PM3/25/22
to Jules Verne Forum
Maître du monde - 1904 [MM]

Cette rangée de montagnes, parallèle au littoral américaine de l’Atlantique, qui sillonne la Caroline du Nord, la Virginie, le Maryland, la Pennsylvanie, l’État de New York, porte le double nom de monts Alleghanys et de monts Appalaches. Elle est formée de deux chaînes distinctes: à l’ouest, les monts Cumberland, à l’est les Montagnes-Bleues.

● The Master of the World (1911, New York: Vincent Parke [vol. 14], ed. Charles F. Horne, trans.?) - reprint: available online at Zvi Har’El’s Jules Verne website at <http://JV.Gilead.org.il/works.html>. [HTML]

If I speak of myself in this story, it is because I have been deeply involved in its startling events, events doubtless among the most extraordinary which this twentieth century will witness.

✓ The Master of the World (1914, London: Sampson Low, trans. Cranstoun Metcalfe) - reprint: abridged and edited by I.O. Evans as The Master of the World, London: Arco/Westport, CT: Associated Booksellers, 1962.

The mountain range parallel to the American Atlantic sea-board, which ploughs through North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York State, bears the double name of Alleghany [sic] Mountains and Apalachee [sic] Mountains. It is formed of two distinct chains: the Cumberland Mountains on the west, and the Blue Ridge on the east.

My first check found that the opening lines of the Cranstoun Metcalfe translation are found in the Boys' Own Annual edition (v. 36, 1913-14).  I have attached a PDF with the pages of that (16.4 MB).  The Verne stories in the Boys' Own Paper story paper and Boys' Own Annual volumes seem to be the same and precede the Sampson Low texts.

Next I looked at the Internet Archive and I found this version:

It is 18 chapters and 250 pages.  I did not notice illustrations.  The Boys' Own Annual is 17 chapters and 52 pages with 2-column text and illustrations.

Now it seems important to compare the chapter lists and opening lines to see if one was added or split.  I spent a little time on this.  Attached is a PDF of a spreadsheet which makes the comparison.  There are minor changes to the first sentences of each chapter.  In one case, the second letter from Robur is treated as a separate chapter in the book which is not done in the serial.  Also, the book has a rather different content for the chapter it numbers 16 "Outlawed" which summarizes content from Robur the Conqueror rather than opening with a physical description.

Note that "The Clipper of the Clouds" was serialized previously in the Boys' Own Paper and Annual.

The text will be hard to read so I have also attached the PDF ad mentioned.  The green for the book shows changes.

1914-Verne-Master_of_the_World-Boys_Own_vs_Sampson_Low-1.png
1914-Verne-Master_of_the_World-Boys_Own_vs_Sampson_Low-2.png

Probably this will give you two variants of this translation to read and enjoy.

No the price you mention is too high for the Fitzroy Edition of Master of the World.  Most are $25-$50 in dust jacket for the U.S. printings.  I just checked mine and it is 18 chapters and 188 pages.  It may not be as abridged as some Verne texts reprinted in the series are.

James D. Keeline
1914-Verne-Master_of_the_World-Boys_Own_vs_Sampson_Low.pdf

Dennis Kytasaari

Mar 25, 2022, 1:34:50 PM3/25/22
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Ron is part of the group and can comment on what translation he might have used, or most likely did his own.

While the Cranston Metcalfe translation might have be used for the initial text that appears in the Fitzroy Edition.  I.O. Evans edited the text so that it would fit into the space requirements for those editions and the will not be complete.

-djk

 Dennis Kytasaari  d...@epguides.com  http://epguides.com/

                                  http://epguides.com/djk/

 Jules Verne- "Mobilis in Mobile"    http://najvs.org/

President and Membership Coordinator  na...@ibiblio.org

   North American Jules Verne Society, Inc.

Ron Miller

Mar 25, 2022, 1:36:51 PM3/25/22
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
To be absolutely honest, I really don't recall what translation I used! I do know, though, that it was an older, public domain one.

http://www.black-cat-studios.com email: spac...@embarqmail.com 1407 Peach Ave. South Boston, VA 24592 434-517-9973

From: Dennis <d...@epguides.com>
To: jules-verne-forum <jules-ve...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Friday, 25 March 2022 1:34 PM EDT

Dennis Kytasaari

Mar 25, 2022, 1:56:31 PM3/25/22
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Well according to Art Evans scholarly article, it looks like there were only a couple…

http://www.julesverne.ca/jv.gilead.org.il/evans/VerneTrans(biblio).html

[...]

The website referenced is now found here:

                http://www.julesverne.ca/jv.gilead.org.il/works.html

Scroll down to entry #56 for Master of the World

image001.gif
image002.gif
image003.gif

Dennis Kytasaari

Mar 25, 2022, 2:03:11 PM3/25/22
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Oops.  Didn’t see James reply.  Good info James!

image001.png
image002.png

Muratore, Joseph

Mar 25, 2022, 2:08:19 PM3/25/22
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Hi again –

I found an old email from Ron where he said where he got the translation:

It's from the version produced by Norman Wolcott on Gutenberg. I made a few slight corrections and changes.

So it is available on Gutenberg and from that the first sentence should indicate if it is Metcalfe version.

Best regards,

Joe Muratore

Phineas G

Mar 25, 2022, 3:55:48 PM3/25/22
to Jules Verne Forum
Thank you! Very interesting and helpful.