Verne and Ludwig Salvator

Davor Sisovic

Apr 13, 2021, 5:36:34 PM4/13/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends, please spare me hours of a search time with one simple fact: is there any documented record of Jules Verne and Ludwig Salvator sailing together? Somewhere in my memory there is a note that it has to be around 1884 during a Mediterreanean cruising when Verne collected materials for Mathias Sandorf...

--
Davor Šišović
https://bookaleta.com/

Ariel Pérez Rodríguez

Apr 13, 2021, 5:44:30 PM4/13/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Davor,

Nicolas Moragues has well documented the relationship between Verne and the Archduke.
I'm sure he will give you an answer once he sees this mail.

Best,
Ariel

Jean-Yves Paumier

Apr 14, 2021, 5:06:44 AM4/14/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Bonjour

La rencontre entre Jules Verne et l’archiduc Louis-Salvator d’Autriche a bien eu lieu en 1884, après que Jules Verne ait quitté le Saint-Michel III et lors d’un périple italien qui le conduisit notamment à Venise. La rencontre est décrite dans un article très intéressant de Brigitta Mader publié dans le Bulletin de la Société Jules Verne n°190 de décembre 2015, intitulé « L’Étranger du quai des Esclavons… » Cet étranger était venu le rencontrer à son hôtel, mais sans donner son nom. L’article est accompagné de quelques lettres de Jules Verne écrites par la suite en 1884 et provenant de la succession de l’archiduc (conservées dans les archives de Palma et de Vienne). Vous pouvez vous procurer ce bulletin auprès de la Société Jules Verne.

Bien amicalement

Jean-Yves Paumier

De : <jules-ve...@googlegroups.com> au nom de Ariel Pérez Rodríguez <ari...@gmail.com>
Répondre à : <jules-ve...@googlegroups.com>
Date : mardi 13 avril 2021 à 23:44
À : <jules-ve...@googlegroups.com>
Objet : Re: [JVF] Verne and Ludwig Salvator

https://sgnldrp.live/track/1618350224893.png?eId=-18977806

https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 5:36 PM Davor Sisovic <davor....@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear friends, please spare me hours of a search time with one simple fact: is there any documented record of Jules Verne and Ludwig Salvator sailing together? Somewhere in my memory there is a note that it has to be around 1884 during a Mediterreanean cruising when Verne collected materials for Mathias Sandorf...

--

Davor Šišović

https://bookaleta.com/

Volker Dehs

Apr 14, 2021, 5:47:53 AM4/14/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Davor,

to answer directly to your question: JV and LS never sailed together. After their rendez-vous in 1884, LS invited JV several times to meet him at Mallorca, but Verne never accepted. Nevertheless, the two men exchanged regularly letters and sent each other their books.

Indeed, the article of Brigitta Mader indicated by Jean-Yves ist very accurate and interesting.

Best, Volker

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. April 2021 um 11:06 Uhr
Von: "Jean-Yves Paumier" <jean-yve...@orange.fr>
An: jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: [JVF] Verne and Ludwig Salvator

Nicolás Moragues

Apr 14, 2021, 2:54:39 PM4/14/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Good night. As both Volker and Jean-Yves have pointed out, they never really sailed together. In fact, when they saw each other for the first (and only) time in their lives, on July 11th, 1884 at the Hôtel d'Angleterre in Venice (today it is called Hotel Londra Palace, and it has a suite dedicated to JV thanks to the information that we provided them from the Jules Verne Hispanic Society), Verne didn't know who he was facing. He didn't know that he was the Archduke. As our colleagues well commented, it is from then on that a large exchange of letters between the two characters is born, but they never coincided again.

A hug,
Nico

Davor Sisovic

Apr 14, 2021, 4:33:26 PM4/14/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Thank you a lot!

Davor Sisovic

Apr 14, 2021, 4:46:40 PM4/14/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for these explanations and clarifications. A reporter from the Meridiani travel magazine (publishing in Milano) asked me for details on the Pazin episode in Mathias Sandorf for the article she is preparing, and I needed your help. I'll let you know when that article will be published.