how did Verne really feel about industrial progress versus social and environmental issues

quentin skrabec

Jan 30, 2024, 1:28:44 PMJan 30
to Jules Verne Forum

Ok, Guys – I need some help, comments, ideas, etc., so I'm throwing things out for comment – it’s a bit rough ( I skipped good editing to get the ideas out)  and might be a bit emotionally strange to some of you. Maybe it will lead to discussion????

I am looking at Verne’s relationship with coal (carbon).  Verne can be ambiguous about coal; on the one hand, he seems to hate its pollution and health concerns, while on the other hand, he sees it as the king of industry and science.

He often seems to see coal as inexhaustible and yet sees it as finite, requiring replacement in the future?

Verne can, at times, create Dickens-like cities, but he adds parks, etc

In Underground City, his characters lament the decline of coal mining, seeing a romance in coal mining,

Coming from heavily polluted industrial Pittsburgh of old and now a  clean city but with the death of the steel industry – I understand the romantic memories.  The great Bessemer coal-lit skies of the nights rivaled the aurora borealis of nature, and the days reminded me of all the pollution problems. But as a youth, the awe of industry overshadowed any downsides. The might of the steel industry and its industrialists were awe-inspiring for a youth. THIS may seem crazy BUT I have romantic memories of polluted Pittsburgh as the city of steel. I feel Verne had this romantic ambivalence for coal and industry too.

Thoughts????????? Do any of you harbor un-woke feelings and ambivalence of the awe of industry versus its health/pollution issues.?

Quent

wbutch...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2024, 6:17:22 PMJan 30
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

In JCEarth, Verne said coal will last a very long time, but changed it after Hetzel read the ms (sorry about the abbreviations).

quentin

Jan 30, 2024, 6:24:12 PMJan 30
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Thank you

Quentin R. Skrabec Jr., Ph.D.

St. Eloi Consulting

qrsk...@gmail.com

6609 Buck Creek

Maumee, Ohio 43537

Cell 419 349 0933

Verne: Past, Present, Future at      paris2060.blogspot.com

quentin skrabec

Jan 30, 2024, 6:31:41 PMJan 30
to Jules Verne Forum
 he also noted it Jules Verne, Backwards to Britain, written in 1859 and published in 1992, Chambers Limited, Edinburgh

wbutch...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2024, 8:22:58 PMJan 30
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Quentin,

It’s nearly always better to revise texts that are going to be read by a considerable no. of people: form and content and all that. A counsel of perfection I know, but you do have to make the reading experience as pleasurable as possible (not that I always follow my own precept…)

bill

Jan 31, 2024, 3:37:44 AMJan 31
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
William,

I’m not qualified to talk about Verne, but I’m to talk about me.

I grew up in an industrial city known for manufacturing men's shoes. Despite the pollution, I have fond memories of my childhood there. However, the city faced issues such as unemployment and work accidents, including the loss of fingers. My father operated one of the most dangerous machines in shoe production, the 'centering machine' (*), also known as the 'finger eater.' Fortunately, he never had an accident. I remember visiting him at work and being in awe of the production chain, mostly manual, the smell of industrial glue and leather, the camaraderie among workers, and the noisy environment.

However, I believe that this is mostly driven by nostalgia and nothing else.

(*) The centering machine works by placing the sole of the shoe under a piece of wood called a 'last.' The rest of the shoe is placed on top and inserted into the machine, which has plates that bend half of the shoe over the foot, press it hard, and then heat it to glue everything together. Occasionally, the plates and the force required to shape the shoe would take some workers' fingers, mainly because they modified the machine by removing all safety features to work faster, as they were paid per shoe produced.

Jan 31, 2024, 5:42:07 AMJan 31
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Rafael,

My father lost a phalanx operating a machine that manufactures wire.

(This is the closest my father and Verne would ever be.)

Christian

quentin

Jan 31, 2024, 11:18:22 AMJan 31
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Great comments

Both my grandfather’s brothers were killed in the steel mills not unusual for Pittsburghers. Yet the family had a strange love of the steel industry as do i. its strange it  to me it is more than nostalgia. It drew me to engineering living in Pittsburgh. For a steelworker family having an engineer or mill boss in the family was better than having a doctor, millionare, or priest.  For me Verne captured in many of his stories this strange mix of fear, pride, pollution, and, community. The community seemed to trump issues with the company, pollution etc .  im sure to outsiders that seems strange.

Thanks for all the comments and references as I go deeper into this

quent

Quentin R. Skrabec Jr., Ph.D.

St. Eloi Consulting

qrsk...@gmail.com

6609 Buck Creek

Maumee, Ohio 43537

Cell 419 349 0933

David McCallister

Jan 31, 2024, 3:38:00 PMJan 31
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
It's been a long time since I read it, but I seem to remember that the issues of industrialized society vs hygienic society were present in "The Begum's Fortune".

Someone in the intro to the IO Evans edition (I think it was), pointed out that Stahlstadt may have been grimy, still there was a beloved pet rat which would not have been allowed in the sterile atmosphere of the other city (was it Frankville?).
So, Verne brought out, by exaggeration, the contrast of these social orders, each of which were ultimately dystopian.

quentin

Jan 31, 2024, 3:58:35 PMJan 31
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Yes you are right stahlsalt was like 1960s Pittsburgh – I feel at home with the city – of course Pittsburgh was not a police state

Thanks for your comments

Quentin R. Skrabec Jr., Ph.D.

St. Eloi Consulting

qrsk...@gmail.com

6609 Buck Creek

Maumee, Ohio 43537

Cell 419 349 0933

It's been a long time since I read it, but I seem to remember that the issues of industrialized society vs hygienic society were present in "The Begum's Fortune".

wbutch...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2024, 6:15:48 PMJan 31
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Rafael,

And I know little but Verne…

In the ms of the The Moon, where Verne dares to quote statistics—’France, where the accident rate is one for every 200,000 francs worth of work’—the publisher exclaims: ‘what [land] is this figure for? It’s a lot of accidents . . . ’ (140); but this is a rare social comment by implication from Verne.

Feb 3, 2024, 8:48:04 PMFeb 3
to Jules Verne Forum
Sorry it took so long -- i was asked about Verne's view of carbon in 20th century - here's a note from a work in progress

Verne envisioned a new and cleaner world fueled by battery electricity, hydrogen, oxygen, windmills, ocean waves and even air electrical “accumulators.” In his 1863 novel Paris in the 20th  Century, Verne predicted hydrogen fuel for cars, windmill-sourced compressed air for trains, hydroelectric power generation,  and replacing coal gas with electric lighting in 1960.[i] He predicted Paris of 1960 would also use windmills to compress air to drive mechanical devices in factories and homes and power trains and railways.[ii] Still he saw coal air pollution from heavy industry and chemical production would still be in transition until fully eliminated.. He also foresaw that there would be resistance to fuel changes. He noted opposition to electric lighting in his future Paris, “Nonetheless a few old-fashioned shops remained faithful to the old means of hydro carbonated gas,” which allowed for limited coal mining![iii]

[i] Jules Verne, Paris in the 20th Century, written in 1863 and published in 1996, Ballantine Books, pp. 24-25

[ii] Ibid pp 30-31, pp. 22-23

[iii] Ibid p. 24