Informations about 20 k in "The Californian" from about 1896?

BGYKrauth

Nov 24, 2021, 3:10:48 PM11/24/21
to JV Forum NEU
Hello,

somebody can give some information / reply to the demand I got posted by a Daniel Titley? I'll send him your replies about the question itself.

Best

Bernhard

Betreff: Re: Your request to the Jules-Verne-Club
Datum: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:54:55 +0000

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me. Regarding the specific version of the story I seek is the story was published in a serial publication called "The Californian” in about 1896, and it told a rather different account of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea story

Hello again,

I was trying to send my request to the address you mentioned in your last email message but am having difficulty in finding it. Also on the North America Jules Verne Society, it keeps on voiding my message as though the page does not exist anymore. But just to try and be a bit more clear about my request: I am trying to find a specific version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea that was printed by the serial publication "The Californian" in about 1896 and it told a rather different account of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea story. I was wondering if you might be able to shed some light on this incarnation please, and know of it? Thank you and if you might be able to pass my message on to anyone you think could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Daniel Titley

:
Von: Daniel Titley
Betreff: [Kontaktformular Jules-Verne-Club]

Nachrichtentext:
Hello,

I am wondering if your site dedicated to Jules Verne could clarify a piece of information for me regarding a version of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." Can you confirm what year in which 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea appeared in The Californian publication please? I read 1896 as a possible year but I need this confirmed if you can help at all. Thank you.

--
Diese E-Mail wurde mit einem Kontaktformular von  Jules - Verne - Club (https://www.jules-verne-club.de) gesendet

Alex Kirstukas

Nov 27, 2021, 11:04:53 AM11/27/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bernhard,

Could you ask Daniel Titley where he found a reference to this version, and what exactly the reference said? I've done a few preliminary searches, but there have been several periodicals known as "The Californian." More information may be helpful.

Amitiés,

Alex

BGYKrauth

Nov 27, 2021, 1:28:40 PM11/27/21
to JV Forum NEU
reply ...

Hi Bernhard,

Sounds like you’ve made more progress than I could have done. The only extra info I can provide is that The Californian version was an article for a Jules Verne scholar, Brian Taves; but he died two years ago, so the trail really ends there unless someone knows of this source…? Thank you so much again for all your hard work on this for me.

Best,

Daniel Titley
On 27 Nov 2021, at 16:08, BGYKrauth <bgyk...@t-online.de> wrote:

Hi,

following reply to your request...

Best

Bernhard

mail from:

Bernhard Krauth

have a look at:

www.jules-verne-club.de
www.jules-verne.eu
www.bernhard-krauth.de
www.fnt.bernhard-krauth.de
www.bremerhavenpilot.de

Betreff: Re: [JVF] Informations about 20 k in "The Californian" from about 1896?
Datum: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:06:49 -0600
Antwort an:

Andrew Nash

Nov 27, 2021, 4:17:31 PM11/27/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Hey, I’ll go out on a limb and start an answer. Unless I’m missing something I haven’t seen an answer yet!

Do we have an email for Daniel so he can see the answer?

My site lists 1 version of “The Californians” that was published in 1891 and was a variation of “Mistress Branican” NOT “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea”

Is there any chance that “The Californians” is the serial to which Daniel is referring.

To see the information on “The Californians” he must go to my Mistress Branican page, and look at 1891

http://www.julesverne.ca/vernebooks/jules-verne_mistress-branican.html

I see that my “Book Title” index is missing “The Californians” so I will update that shortly.

There’s my start…

Andrew

BGYKrauth

Nov 28, 2021, 1:15:41 AM11/28/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I replied by error only to Andrew, and have therein not seen the yesterday reply from Daniel concerning Alex' demand for specification.

He answered:

"Sounds like you’ve made more progress than I could have done. The only extra info I can provide is that The Californian version was an article for a Jules Verne scholar, Brian Taves; but he died two years ago, so the trail really ends there unless someone knows of this source…?"

This sounds to me like Brian knew something about but wasn't able any more to publish it? Somebody have knowledge of the last projects of Brian?