When did advertising start grouping the Voyages Extraordinaires by Global regions?

an...@julesverne.ca

Feb 26, 2021, 1:28:47 PM2/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Image

I am curious when Hetzel (and currently auction houses it seems) start grouping Jules Vernes Voyages Extraordinaires by regions.

He had to have sufficient volumes in his catalogue before it made sense!
Based on the cover of the "paper" edition shown, I suppose it was a direct Hetzel decision and it was "official".
... Andrew

Volker Dehs

Feb 26, 2021, 1:51:42 PM2/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com, jules-ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

this listing appears for the first time in a letter sent by Verne to Hetzel in 1888, August 21 (Correspondance Verne-Hetzel, second series, vol. 1, Geneva: Slatkine, 2004, pp. 88-90), certainly made on demand of his publisher. Hetzel exploited this listing for his advertisements in différent manners, completing it "au fur et mesure", sometimes in the cover plate of the illustrated edition (paper version). Further investigations have to made on this question.

Best,
Volker

Gesendet: Freitag, 26. Februar 2021 um 19:28 Uhr
Von: "an...@julesverne.ca" <an...@julesverne.ca>
An: "jules-ve...@googlegroups.com" <jules-ve...@googlegroups.com>
Betreff: [JVF] When did advertising start grouping the Voyages Extraordinaires by Global regions?

an...@julesverne.ca

Feb 26, 2021, 2:41:32 PM2/26/21
to jules-ve...@googlegroups.com

Interesting.

I have looked up the letter, and Jules has proposed 10 “regions” and for the  “continental regions”  has indicated for each title, the actual “sub-regiion” that the book takes place.

Thank you Volker

… Andrew

image001.jpg