Revisiting JIF for irregular throws

Carl Hunt

Jan 9, 2023, 9:33:01 PM1/9/23
to juggling-interchange-format
Hi! I've been using passist and JIF successfully in a series of tutorial videos I posted to YouTube. Jim's Jam has a diagonal pass and a flip and I was able to use "4xp 2x 4p 2x 3x" in JIF to create an animation for the original version of my video "Jim's Jamboree family of juggling patterns" https://youtu.be/8JDHNsxkKww. I was unable to do the same with two of the variations and in the video I just spoke the mantras.

I'm giving a workshop at an upcoming local juggling festival and I came up with some new patterns I wanted to animate. I discovered that the timing of the duration 2 and 4 throws resulted in collisions that shouldn't happen, in particular for Jim's Split Jam which divides Jim's Jam into a feed. I discovered that if I turned all the throws into duration 2 (with spin 1) and put a dwell of 0.2 on the regular throws I could quite easily work out all the patterns and the animation is a decent approximation of what is actually going on. You can see the result in my new Jim's Jamboree video https://youtu.be/uHrlYmaxFW4. Jim's Jam becomes "2xp 2x 2p 2x 2" in JIF and animates properly although it's really more like "3p 3 3xp 3 3x". I wondered if I could modify the passist code to allow for the latter but didn't get very far.