Politically Intimidated Judges in N.J.

Friedrich

Jul 16, 2012, 2:32:53 PM7/16/12
to Juan Galis-Menendez
Mary Ann Spoto, "Judges Allegedly Forced to Back Nominee: Letter;
[sic.] Gov. Would End Their Careers' [sic.] if They Didn't Support Ex-
A.G.," in "The Star Ledger," July 9, 2012, at p. 1.

"Three Democratic state Senators have asked state Supreme Court Chief
Justice Stuart Rabner to investigate allegations that a Republican
lawmaker [Kevin O'Toole, Esq.]" -- acting for Christopher Christie,
Esq.? -- "pressured two Superior Court judges in an attempt to secure
former Attorney General Paula Dow's nomination to the bench, The Star
Ledger [sic.] has learned."

Judicial independence and a free press are fundamental to any
democracy. Both institutions are threatened (or lost!) in New Jersey
and endangered in America as we face the 2012 presidential election.

As we approach that election, it is reported that the top 1% of the
population controls 30% of the wealth in our society (and a higher
percentage of the CORPORATE wealth, which is the true wealth in a
globalized economy).

400 persons, as individuals, own or control more wealth than 185
million Americans below their economic status. No democracy that
promises equal rights to all citizens can sustain this level of
economic inequality and fulfill that promise. Think of the Citizens
United decision again.

Politicians, through their acolytes and friends in office, pressure
the bar association or opposing politicians to get their loyalists
appointed and confirmed to the judicial bench with the understanding
that judges will remain "beholden" to their patrons. ("Corrupt Law
Firms, Senator Bob, and New Jersey Ethics" and "New Jersey's
Politically-Connected Lawyers On the Tit.")

Corrupt officials can expect a "heads up" when there is trouble or
even non-enforcement of the laws, as with the OAE's selective
enforcement of ethics rules, to protect insiders or harm dissidents.

Rabner is a Republican. New Jersey's Chief Justice is already tainted
by associations with organized crime figures or selective attention to
law enforcement matters when he was Attorney General, possibly on
behalf of potentially helpful politicians, like Bob Menendez. ("Stuart
Rabner and Conduct Unbecoming to the Judiciary in New Jersey" and
"Does Senator Menendez have mafia friends?")

"In a June 21 letter to Rabner ... the three Essex County lawmakers --
Richard Codey, Nia Gill and Ronald Price -- said two judges, then
facing renomination, were told Gov. Chris Christie would 'end their
judicial careers' if they didn't persuade Gill to agree to sign off on
the governor's nominee."

Allegedly, Patricia Costello (I often appeared before her) from
Hoboken who is a former prosecutor -- was approached to "reach"
several assignment judges in order to ensure Paula Dow's appointment.

How much real trial experience does Ms. Dow have? Paula Dow was
incompetent as Attorney General. Will Ms. Dow be equally incompetent
as a judge? Probably.

It is interesting that the way to get rid of people in New Jersey is
by making them judges. As a precedent, do we wish to see judiciary
appointments proceed on the basis of intimidation and threats? I hope
not. A judgeship, literally, had a price tag in cash on it in Bob
Menendez's Hudson County? I am told that, although prices have gone
up, this is still true today. This is known, unofficially, as the
"cash-for-Bob" rule. ($25,000 in cash?)

Incidentally, what is going on with Gilberto Garcia's alleged charges
these days? Ms. Kricko? Bank fraud? Weren't these two "lawyers"
providing assistance against me from behind the scenes to John McGill
at the OAE? That's unethical, John. Does or did Lourdes Santiago, Esq.
belong to you, John McGill? Do you speak to me of ethics, Mr. Rabner?
Senator Bob? Mr. Christie?

I wonder how Ms. Costello and Judge Olivetti's romance is going these
days?

Maybe some New Jersey legislators will bring MY matters to the
attention of Mr. Rabner. Now that Ms. Poritz's "friend and colleague,"
Ms. Long, has left the bench it may be possible to deal with this
situation, Stuart. ("Trenton's Nasty Lesbian Love-Fest!" and "Jennifer
Velez is a Dyke Magnet!")

How about it, Stuart?

Sources:

Mathew McGrath, "5 From Bergen Indicted in FRAUD Ring: Group Allegedly
Provided IDs For Koreans," in "The Record," June 30, 2012, at p. L-3.
(You need papers? No problem. Lawyers were allegedly involved in this
scam.)

Jesse J. Holland, "Glaxo Will Pay $3 BILLION in FRAUD Case: Marketed
Drugs for Unapproved Uses," in "The Record," July 3, 2012, at p. A-1.
("'The Constant Gardner': A Movie Review.")

Justo Bautista, "Ex-Teacher at Paterson High School Faces Charges of
Sex Assault," in "The Record," July 3, 2012, at p. L-3. (Another
alleged Bob Menendez supporter, Alfred Handel, 37, arrested for child
molestation.)

Mathew Scott, "Parliament Questions Culture at Barclays," in "The New
York Times," July 11, 2012, at p. B1. (U.S. investigations to follow
$400+ MILLION fine.)