In case you missed the biggest news in the material science world this week

Elias Barsenga Hassen

Jul 28, 2023, 7:19:18 AM7/28/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am writing to share with you an exciting development in the field of material science that you may have missed this week. A team of South Korean researchers has reported on a room-temperature superconductor in the pre-print server ArXiv. This is a breakthrough that could revolutionize multiple aspects of science and technology, from energy efficiency to quantum computing.

The superconductor, named LK-99, has a modified lead-apatite structure with Cu2+ ions substituting Pb2+ ions. The authors claim that LK-99 exhibits zero-resistivity, critical current, critical magnetic field, and Meissner effect at temperatures above 400 K and ambient pressure. They provide various data from XRD, XPS, EPR, heat capacity, and SQUID measurements to support their claim. They also explain that the superconductivity of LK-99 is due to the tunneling of electrons between superconducting quantum wells (SQWs), which are not affected by temperature or pressure.

This work is still in its early stages and needs to be verified by other researchers. However, if confirmed, this discovery could have enormous implications for the future of humanity.

I hope you find this information useful and interesting. You can access the pre-print paper here:

Best regards,
Elias B.
JUAMI-2023

Shirley Meng

Jul 28, 2023, 11:37:21 AM7/28/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
Indeed! Elias.
We are already planning on synthesizing it - thanks for sharing.

Shirley

Sossina M. Haile

Jul 28, 2023, 11:42:38 AM7/28/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com

Onsate Wislay

Jul 28, 2023, 11:45:39 AM7/28/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
This' very exciting news.

Wislay Onsate (MSc.)
Email sent from mobile device

Simon Billinge

Jul 28, 2023, 12:30:48 PM7/28/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
😂 I am not sure it is "news" until it is reproduced/verified.    Looking forward to hearing updates from Shirley!

--
Simon Billinge
Professor, Columbia University

Chaciga Jimmy

Jul 28, 2023, 12:54:34 PM7/28/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
It could be good news, however further research may be required for such findings.
Thanks Eias B

Jimmy Chaciga
Department  of Physics, Makerere University
 Tel: : Whatsup +256-759 271 101
          +256-78 2 331 500

Elias Barsenga Hassen

Aug 9, 2023, 2:02:38 AM8/9/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
I think Prof. Simon was right about the news 😊😊 here's the new paper that claimed to disprove the previous study.

Simon Billinge

Aug 23, 2023, 5:56:35 AM8/23/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
😂  Thanks Elias.  The score is now 1-1 but it is not even half-time yet...

Remember, Science is a process, not a result....  make a hypothesis, test it experimentally, validate the experiments.

Based on chatter from my network, the most likely explanation in this case is poor experimental technique in the original paper, but at the same time, the point of doing science in the first place is that nature keeps throwing us surprises that we don't expect.  Keep an open mind, but hone your skills as experimenters and scientists and validate them as best as you can...

miller shatsala

Oct 9, 2023, 5:54:18 PM10/9/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
Hello Prof Shannon,

I am at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) and today I was privileged to meet your student Nicole at Berkeley, and she mentioned ELias and Wycliffe. She said you will be moving to UC,Berkeley soon, quite encouraging.

Thanks Prof. Billinge for the chat we had at Nairobi about the synchrotron. Through these interactions at LBNL and the one recently in Benin, I can for sure say JUAMI is spreading its wings.

Miller Shatsala
(Milla)
JUAMI-2023 School