2023 African Light Source Conference call for abstracts

Simon Billinge

Oct 13, 2023, 9:11:46 AM10/13/23
to JUAMIexchange
The 2023 version of the AfLS conference will be alongside the AfPS (African Physical Society meeting this year, November 13-17th

The meeting is virtual and there is no conference fee to attend, so the cost to attend is low (free essentially).  I encourage materials scientists who want better access to x-ray characterization to present their work there.  The light source will not be built if there is no community of potential users.  You do not need to be presenting x-ray results, but materials science that would benefit from x-rays, to enter into the conversation.

The web-site to submit abstracts is here:

The abstract submission deadline is on 15th October in 2 days.  As I said, I encourage you to come and join the party, present your work, listen to other talks, even if you just want access to x-rays and haven't done an x-ray experiment.

Ian Billinge

Oct 13, 2023, 12:36:36 PM10/13/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
Should American students submit abstracts too?

Ian Billinge
he/him/his
Ph.D Student, Yip Lab
Dept. of Earth & Environmental Engineering
Fu Foundation School of Engineering
Columbia University in the City of New York

Simon Billinge

Oct 13, 2023, 6:02:41 PM10/13/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
yes indeed, if you are interested.

It would be highly welcome to have abstracts from American students.  It might be better if US-based talks had an x-ray component in them though.  This also helps to build the x-ray community in Africa by giving examples of how x-rays were used, especially synchrotron x-rays, in interesting scientific cases.

--
Simon Billinge
Professor,

Margaret-Anne Wampamba

Oct 14, 2023, 8:19:36 AM10/14/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Simon,

Can observers attend?
Is the Zoom link somewhere??
I wanted to interest some African students who are not yet at that level, jut to listen in and maybe take further interest.

Best regards,
Mazzi
By the way, I leave for UG tomorrow evening. I am VA.

Simon Billinge

Oct 14, 2023, 9:54:32 AM10/14/23
to juamie...@googlegroups.com