[jtablet-dev] JTablet2 backwards compatible bug

Garret Cole

May 13, 2010, 2:28:48 AM5/13/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Although I said the bug in paintchat was fixed, I guess it would have helped if I 'used' paintchat insead of just activating the pressure sensitivity. I havent been able to investigate why this happens in the current deployed paintchat (cause i have fucked with the code for months before deploying something new). But here is a visual example of the same app using JTablet2 drivers calling the Jtablet0.9x API and the new version.

Using jtablet2 with 0.9x API
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/riftgarret/screenshots/paintchatjtablet2artifact.png

Using jtablet2 with jtablet1.2 API
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/riftgarret/screenshots/paintchatjtablet2ok.png

I can tell you how some of the calls are being made, but essentially the bottom line, just swapping out jtablet 0.9x installation for the 'backwards compatable' jtablet2 is not achieving the same results.

Garret

Marcello Bastéa-Forte

May 13, 2010, 11:29:01 AM5/13/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the screenshots, that helps a lot! I'll see if I can track it down for the 1.2.5 release.

Marcello

Marcello Bastéa-Forte

May 30, 2010, 12:19:18 AM5/30/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Garret,

I finally found the cause of the problem you're seeing.

It appears to be due to a misunderstanding in the JTablet 0.9.x API spec by PaintChat/Shi-Painter. Specifically, the poll() method returns false when there is no new data, but PaintChat seems to be interpreting it as  no pressure.

I'll commit a workaround shortly and it should be included in the 1.2.5 release.

Marcello