[jtablet-dev] Windows bug: tablet stops reporting

Garret Cole

Apr 23, 2010, 4:41:44 PM4/23/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
In my windows environment, when running my application, there becomes a point where the TabletManager stops reporting tablet events. Rather what I mean is all events reported by the TabletManager are of 'Mouse' or 'Unknown' and the event.getPressure() method always returns 1 instead of the applied pressure. I see no error message or stack trace at the moment of incident. From my applications perspective, the user is no longer using the tablet. The TabletManager does not seem to recover throughout the period of the application's session.  Restarting the application fixes the problem until the incident occurs again.

This bug seems to always happen when i alt tab back to my program after using it. I can reproduce the bug every time.

Another question. Just to make sure I am using the API correctly; I just downloaded the latest SDK: JTablet 2: v1.2.2-alpha-20100404 , and all I did was replace my previous jtablet-thin.jar (used by my application), with the one extracted in the SDK. My previous DLL was in %USER%/.jtablet/jtablet.dll Does that seem right?

spec:
java 1.6_07
windows 7 x64 bit (using 32 bit drivers for tablet)
wacom intuos 4

Thanks,

Garret

Marcello Bastéa-Forte

Apr 23, 2010, 5:12:31 PM4/23/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Not sure on the bug you're seeing, I still need to test on Windows 7
(and x64), I haven't gotten to this yet. Does it always happen on
alt-tab or only sometimes? Are you doing a standalone app or an
applet?

Regarding the API:

> Another question. Just to make sure I am using the API correctly; I just
> downloaded the latest SDK: JTablet 2: v1.2.2-alpha-20100404 , and all I did
> was replace my previous jtablet-thin.jar (used by my application), with the
> one extracted in the SDK. My previous DLL was in %USER%/.jtablet/jtablet.dll
> Does that seem right?

I got rid of the whole .jtablet folder thing. You should remove the
existing DLL and jar files you copied over from the previous alpha.
Now it's installed in the windows\sun\ folder somewhere by the JTablet
2 alpha installer (exe available on
http://jtablet.cellosoft.com/alpha.html).

And yes, include the new jtablet-thin.jar.

Marcello

Garret Cole

Apr 23, 2010, 5:19:16 PM4/23/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Ok I have removed the old .jtablet directory and ran the official alpha installer and I am still seeing the same problem.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Marcello Bastéa-Forte <marc...@cellosoft.com> wrote:
Not sure on the bug you're seeing, I still need to test on Windows 7
(and x64), I haven't gotten to this yet. Does it always happen on
alt-tab or only sometimes?

All of the time. This happens when i either alt tab back to my applet, or that i use the mouse/tablet to select the window.

Are you doing a standalone app or an
applet?

Applet

Regarding the API:

> Another question. Just to make sure I am using the API correctly; I just
> downloaded the latest SDK: JTablet 2: v1.2.2-alpha-20100404 , and all I did
> was replace my previous jtablet-thin.jar (used by my application), with the
> one extracted in the SDK. My previous DLL was in %USER%/.jtablet/jtablet.dll
> Does that seem right?

I got rid of the whole .jtablet folder thing. You should remove the
existing DLL and jar files you copied over from the previous alpha.
Now it's installed in the windows\sun\ folder somewhere by the JTablet
2 alpha installer (exe available on
http://jtablet.cellosoft.com/alpha.html).

And yes, include the new jtablet-thin.jar.

Marcello

Marcello Bastéa-Forte

Apr 23, 2010, 5:21:56 PM4/23/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Does it also happen in the demo applet? Also, what web browser are you
using? (I'm wondering if this is related to the new-style plugin added
in java 1.6.0_10.)

Marcello

Garret Cole

Apr 23, 2010, 5:22:26 PM4/23/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
OH, I forgot to mention I receive the same bug when using your online Jtablet2 Demo app here http://jtablet.cellosoft.com/jtablet2-demo.html

Garret

Garret Cole

Apr 23, 2010, 5:24:42 PM4/23/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Browser: firefox, but I reproduced the same problem in Chrome and IE

As mentioned in previous email, bug exists in demo app

Garret Cole

Apr 25, 2010, 1:45:18 AM4/25/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Ok, after a reboot, the demo on the web seems to work fine again. However my project inside Eclipse is still showing the same problems lol. I can't seem to figure out if it is because im building on a previous java version or what that may cause the problem. Any theories on if there is a particular java build that I should work with?

(Part of the reason I am using an older build is because Im working with a lot of existing code, and they made some changes to the java SDK that breaks my build. But if I need to make my build compatible with the latest version to get JTablet2, I need to hear it from you guys first before I go into a code frenzy.)

Garret

Marcello Bastéa-Forte

Apr 25, 2010, 1:55:49 AM4/25/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
JTablet 2 is designed to be compatible with Java 1.5, so that's not
it. Java 1.6 simplified the extension installation process on Windows,
so it's required by the Windows installer.

Some possibilities:
- the JTablet installer isn't succeeding because the JAR files are in
use (by eclipse or your web browser or whatever),
- there is some kind of funky JTablet version conflict (though I
believe all the alphas have been backwards compatible),
- or there is a bug.

Does the diagnostics tab of the demo applet show the right version?

Marcello

Garret Cole

Apr 25, 2010, 2:03:14 AM4/25/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Okay.. false alarm lol. It has all been resolved. You just reminded me I need to restart Eclipse. When I restarted the browser, it fixed the previous version problem. For some reason I thought just launching new instances of my program within Eclipse would refresh the drivers and API.

and.. The demo and version shows up correctly. (of course!)

Garret