Correcting the fret position on some chord diagrams

jeremy

Nov 13, 2010, 7:00:43 AM11/13/10
to jtab
Hi Guys,
I noticed today that at least one of the chords is showing an
incorrect fret position, being a total javascript novice I have no
idea how to fix it, so any help in trying to explain some basic fix
ups would be really appreciated.
The chord I am referring to is a Dm7b5.
In Jtab it is showing up as the root note being on the 5th string 3rd
fret and unless I am mistaken the root note for this chord should be
the 5th fret 5th string? the shape is correct but the fret position is
out by a couple of frets, or a whole tone.
thanks.

jeremy

Nov 13, 2010, 3:05:12 PM11/13/10
to jtab
I sent message to Paul after posting the one above while I was waiting
for it to be approved and thought it a good idea to share it here with
everyone also...

I forgot to mention that I tried specifying the fret with several
commands, for want of a better word, I tried everything from...
Dm7b5:1 Dm7b5:2 Dm7b5:3 Dm7b5:4 Dm7b5:5
but all to no avail, the chord I was referring to in the Google group
post was Dm7b5:2 it is the correct shape I was looking to use but as I
mentioned in the wrong position.
Do you have any tutorials for editing the js file and making new
chords to add to it. I know nothing about js but would love to chime
in occasionally when the need arises to add a new chord.
All the best...

Here is a post I added to my blog with the chord in q
http://rhythmicguitar.com/blog/jamin-the-blues-bosser
you can find it in the section called Part 2

Paul Gallagher

Nov 13, 2010, 7:13:59 PM11/13/10
to jt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the report. It should be a simple fix ... I'll need to open up the jtab js - which I haven't done for a long time though (!)
There's no tutorial for development at the moment -  just some inline commentary, but the internals are fairly arcane I have to admit.
I'll try and have a look today..

Regards,
Paul

jeremy young

Nov 13, 2010, 9:38:03 PM11/13/10
to jt...@googlegroups.com
cool,thanks Paul
--
God Bless

Jeremy Young

My Blog http://www.jeremyyoung.ws

My Learning Guitar Blog http://rhythmicguitar.com

My Twitter http://twitter.com/jeremy_young

My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/youngjeremy

Paul Gallagher

Nov 13, 2010, 11:08:58 PM11/13/10
to jt...@googlegroups.com
I just had a quick look (you can follow the issue at https://github.com/tardate/jtab/issues/#issue/18 if you like)

I see the problem is with base fret calculation during CAGED transformation. offset for the chord shape is not being calculated correctly. If base fret =0 then everything OK. if <>0, then CAGED transformation is off by that amount. I'll need to work through the calculation to fix it up (it's complicated a bit because base fret also affects the drawing algorithm)

Regards,
Paul

jeremy young

Nov 14, 2010, 5:07:15 AM11/14/10
to jt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul, like I said b4, if there is any grunt work I can do to help let me know, I know a little basic css and html but nothing about js.