JT9 and FT8

TonyDx

Jul 12, 2017, 7:06:24 AM7/12/17
to JT65-HF HB9HQX-Edition
Does the software decode JT9 and/or the new mode FT8? I note that there is a JT9 switch on the configuration menu but I'm not sure what it does.
Cheers
Tony G4CJC

TonyDx

Jul 13, 2017, 5:24:36 AM7/13/17
to JT65-HF HB9HQX-Edition
The JT9 switch is in configuration, break and configure, log. On the right hand side under Mode filter. What does that do?

Tony G4CJC

HB9HQX

Jul 15, 2017, 9:21:10 AM7/15/17
to JT65-HF HB9HQX-Edition
If you use an external log (like HRD Logbook, WSJT-X or ADIF) you can show statistical informations (e.g. QSO before, new DXCC or new Grid) with two filter settings, only JT65 or both JT65 + JT9.
Note: The HB9HQX-Edition (and the built in JT65-Log) provides receive and transmit messages only in JT65. This digital mode has an excellent performance (Reed-Solomon forward error correction FEC, synchronization and modulation 65FSK).
I try to improve this program with high priority.
For newer modes (like JT9 or FT8) have a look at WSJT-X (from K1JT) and JTDX.
Good luck and 73, Beat HB9HQX

Ernie VK3FM

Jul 15, 2017, 9:50:47 AM7/15/17
to JT65-HF HB9HQX-Edition
Beat I agree with your wish to concentrate on JT65 mode only and to make that mode the very best it can be.

Too many programs these days try to do too many things and end up not being a very good program at all. HRD is a PERFECT example.

A wonderful JT65 mode program Beat.

Ernie VK3FM.

Clifford Novey

Oct 3, 2017, 12:19:09 AM10/3/17
to JT65-HF HB9HQX-Edition
I for one really wish HB9HQX version DID operate JT9 and FT8. I am not guessing this version is replacing the algorithms or other core components to the process. Maybe that assumption is incorrect. I really do not see what the big difference is- I do not use other apps and modes bc the interfaces are so terribly ugly and clunky to operate.
73- Clifford- kk6qms

HB9HQX

Oct 3, 2017, 2:20:20 AM10/3/17
to JT65-HF HB9HQX-Edition
Thank you for the suggestion. In a few days i release a new version (5.0) of the HB9HQX-Edition. The new version provides automatic QSO mode and a new (quick) standard QSO sequence: CQ > (-dB) > R-dB > (GRID instead of RRR or RR73) > CQ ...

To implement FT8 in the HB9HQX-Edition is a great challenge. I am a retired chemical engineer (and teacher), not a professional software developer. The core functions for JT65 (and JT4) are from WSJT 3 (developed by Joe Tailor, K1JT and modified by Joe Large, W6CQZ). Many thanks to this two persons. JT65 is the best digital mode for DX QSOs on the HF bands.

73 Beat

Clifford Novey

Oct 3, 2017, 2:29:21 AM10/3/17
to JT65-HF HB9HQX-Edition
Well- this might seem funny- but I had my first FT8 qso after I posted here. And I really dislike it!
:)
The automatic nature of the qso seems like it should not count as a true qso!! But oh well. I will just stick to JT65 which I enjoy. I am not going to let software send automatic responses. A small but important distinction for me personally.

Thanks and 73
Clifford - KK6QMS