3D possibilities

Henrik Staaf

Feb 12, 2015, 6:22:23 AM2/12/15
to jsxg...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys

Geogebra have some really nice 3d features and I was wondering if JSX graph can create graphs of similar nature. If not, is this something that you are planning to add to JSX graph?

//
Henrik

Gilles Dubois

Feb 16, 2015, 10:09:08 AM2/16/15
to jsxg...@googlegroups.com
Actually, there's no mystery. 3D representation always uses a 'projection' system.
Such a projection consists in a mapping of a 3D space (real) into a 2D space (which, why not, can be a jsxgraph box).
But we have two difficulties:
'Dragging' generally means nothing since one dimension is lost.
If you want to represent surfaces you can use gradient lines and (iso)level lines to create a 'skeleton' , effect is good.
But if you really want to draw solids you have to define polytopes (playing the role of polygons) and use a light source, decide which are hidden, etc.; etc..
Actually 3D figures are best seen when they are in motion.
It's a good idea to show them in motion and give the user the possibility to stop at any time.
Till now I prefer to use htlm5 canvases without any library and just creating a coordinate system.
See for example this page for result.
http://gilles.dubois10.free.fr/algebre_lineaire/libres.html
I use Geogebra 3D (which is not so perfect as you can imagine) just to create pictures, not for dynamic geometry.
Gilles

Gilles Dubois

Feb 21, 2015, 1:01:16 AM2/21/15
to jsxg...@googlegroups.com
I'm not satisfied with any of the 3D software I could find for interactive geometry.
I can elaborate on this for anyone interested in the subject.
So I wrote my own module for 3D javascript applets.
Anybody who is interested can find my job here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lkaa5e5kxdml6yl/AABnlcwgi4quP4-NtN1m8UEEa?dl=0
Specially in the directory 3D javascript you will find 3 files.
  • My 'library' which is very light (6.3 kb)
  • an example file with doc using this library (template to be used as your starting point).
  • an example html page with link to the library and calling some basic template js applet, namely the previous example file.
 You can change a few parameters including viewdistance, field of vision, speed and angles of rotation.
The principle is that, for best vision,  figures are always in motion. You can stop them any time with a simple click on the board.
You restart them the same way.
I show a few example of using the html5 controls (sliders, buttons, etc..) to interact with the graphical universe; you can do it while things are in motion or while they're at rest.
 A few examples can be seen on this page:
http://gilles.dubois10.free.fr/analyse_reelle/intautresmesures.html
As you may see it's quite possible to use JSXGraph together with my 3D library on the same html page, just use namespaces to protect the environment.
Enjoy !

Gilles Dubois

Mar 13, 2015, 6:09:18 PM3/13/15
to jsxg...@googlegroups.com
This group is dedicated to JSXGraph library and this discussion is a little marginal.
In any case, I'm sure that a lot of you are still seeking for the perfect tool for 3D interactive geometry, which in my opinion still doesn't exist.
For a lot of resaons i discard everything based on the java programming language and concentrate on these libraries, which, like JSXGraph use only the html 5/js capabilities connected with the canvas tag.
They are a lot of them but none really suited for maths. They're more oriented towards representation of reality and games. In maths it's a little special we want to see objects but we want to see inside of them as well. So we'll make use of transparency and wireframes together with volumes, light models and camera vision.
Not simple indeed.
I developed my own tools which is very modest but very light too.
For libraries it's the same as for usual shopping, what do you want to have and how much money are you ready to spend for ? Of course 'price' has here a special meaning expensive libraries are 'heavy' libraries, sometimes build on other third party tools, taking time to load, cumbersome in memory and so on.
On this point of view JSXGraph is fairly acceptable. So I tried to find some equivalent on the web instead of continuing to develop my own tools.
I found something interesting here.
http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/phoria/
This library developed by Kevin Roast cannot be used as such for intercative geometry but some light modifications together with some tricks (using simultaneous multiple rendering modes for the same object) allow some good representations with easy interactivity.
See for example, visualisation of the Dandelin theorem connected to the section of cones by planes which gives a proof of the theorem stated on the parabola. The sketch is not so simple to produce. i made it with Java in the past and the result is even better with Kevin tools.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26686804/Phoria/index.html
Unfortunately no doc exists and the author is almost proud of it. But the examples are very well chosen, and you can understand everything from them or by reading the code. I can share my experience with anybody interested.
Good night.

Gilles Dubois

Mar 13, 2015, 6:11:55 PM3/13/15
to jsxg...@googlegroups.com
Sorry i forgot to say concerning my link.
You can rotate the whole thing with mouse drag.
Necessary for a good vision.

Jatkuva Oppiminen

Jun 17, 2022, 9:43:28 AM6/17/22
to JSXGraph