License

Jerry James

Apr 18, 2008, 5:12:43 PM4/18/08
to JSR-305: Annotations for Software Defect Detection
Would the maintainers be willing to create a top-level file in the
distribution named LICENSE containing the text of the BSD-like license
under which this package is distributed? Currently, there are no
references I can find in the actual distribution to the license terms.

I know the license is available from the project web pages. Some
distributions refuse to consider a package with no reference to the
license terms within the package, since a web page can be changed
without making a new distribution. Thanks,

Jerry James

Bill Pugh

May 27, 2008, 1:48:38 PM5/27/08
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'll add it.  We're using the Simplified BSD license (without either the advertising or endorsement clauses).

Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

  • Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  • Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

One question I hope someone can answer: what should we use as the "OWNER" of the copyright for
something being developed under a JSR? Should we use "JSR-305 expert group"?

BVill