JSR 305 state

Andrei

Sep 15, 2010, 9:44:16 AM9/15/10
to JSR-305: Annotations for Software Defect Detection
Hi,

we at Verigy (www.verigy.com)are using both FindBugs and Coverity for
static code analysis. One problem I see is that Coverity has
introduced their own custom annotations, and some of them having same
names as in jsr305, but of course are not compatible with jsr305. So
we have a choice to use FB (jsr305) annotations or Coverity own. AFAIK
there are also some annotations from some tool vendors (IntellIdea)
and also everybody can create it's own annotations (like Google etc).
Many of them are probably very similar or even have same purpose.

What I currently trying to understand:

1) What is the preferred way to "deploy" annotations used for static
analysis into the organization's code base? Is there are "standard"
annotations for static analysis package? Is this jsr supposed to
deliver such a standard package? Should we write our own???

2) What is the state of this JSR? What is needed to made it Java
standard for static analysis? I do not see much changes in the past
year - is the JSR 305 dead?

Regards,
Andrei Loskutov