Share distance among finite fleet

Martin Sauvage

Oct 26, 2015, 3:16:11 PM10/26/15
to jsprit-mailing-list
Hello,

Congratulations for this great library !

My problem seems to be close to this one:

Consider a finite N fleet size, I would like to get N routes as similar as possible the same distance cost (no capacity constraint for each route).

Example:
I have 200 products to be served using 3 vehicles: how to get the 3 routes (returning to depot) with an approximatively the same distance for each vehicle?

Do you confirm jsprit cannot solve my problem?

Thanks,
Martin

Stefan Schroeder

Oct 26, 2015, 3:31:18 PM10/26/15
to jsprit-ma...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Congratulations for this great library !

Thank you for your kind words :).

Do you confirm jsprit cannot solve my problem?

No. I cannot confirm this. It is a min-max distance problem and you cannot use smth out of the box. However, you can build smth for your own. You just need to play with the distance constraints. For example, reduce the max allowed distance successively so that you can just serve all your customers with your 3 vehicles, thus no jobs should be unassigned. You can do it manually by using the trial and error approach, or you can automate it. I have been successful by designing a two-stage algorithm where in the first stage the max distance is determined, and in the second stage - given the max distance - the routes are determined that min. overall costs. Unfortunately, this code is not open source :(.

Best,
Stefan

Thanks,
Martin