Python3

Garito

Nov 16, 2011, 2:20:15 PM11/16/11
to jsonpickle
Did you port jsonpickle to python3?
The documentation says something about at version 0.3.0 but nothing
concrete

would like to use it with FirePython (will fork it if its possible)

Thanks!

John Paulett

Nov 16, 2011, 3:34:21 PM11/16/11
to Garito, jsonpickle
I ran the 2to3 tool on the codebase quite a while back [1]. Since I'm
not actively using Python 3, I never really tested it sufficiently and
have not been keeping that branch up to date

If you are interesting in forking and adding support for Python 3,
please go ahead. I would recommend starting with the 2to3 tool on the
latest master branch [2]. We do a far amount of introspection into
object types, and with the unicode / byte string difference in Python
3, I would recommend paying special attention to how strings are
handled.

Ideally, I would hope we could support both Python 2 & 3 with the same
code base (possibly with an automatic 2to3 conversion during the build
[3]), but would still be interested in looking at the patch if it just
switched to Python 3.

John

[1]: https://github.com/johnpaulett/jsonpickle/tree/python3
[2]: https://github.com/jsonpickle/jsonpickle/
[3]: http://packages.python.org/distribute/python3.html

Garito

Nov 16, 2011, 8:05:49 PM11/16/11
to jsonpickle
Mmm sounds pretty far away from my needs, sorry

I have my own project and I use FirePython that uses jsonpickle and
that's why I'm asking here

FirePyhton programmers have the same point with python3 and they ask
me to fork it too

For my project, at this point, I only need to change small things to
port it so seems a little insane for me to do more job to have a
testing tool ported than my own one

Seems more reasonable keep going with python2 and firepython and
finally port my project to python3 than make all the efford to change
from version before to finish mine

Is there some twitter account or something easy and light to know if
you or someone port jsonpickle to python3?

If so I plan to port firepython to python3

Thanks a lot!

John Paulett

Nov 17, 2011, 8:40:33 AM11/17/11
to jsonp...@googlegroups.com, gar...@gmail.com
Garito,
That's fine. We have not been posting to a twitter account. You may
consider joining this mailing list (in case you have not already)--it
is extremely low volume and any such Python 3 announcement would
probably be made here.

Thanks,
John

Garito

Nov 17, 2011, 3:17:36 PM11/17/11
to jsonpickle
Grate!
Will stay tuned here then!

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for not being more collaborative