Factor out static analysis functionality?

Billy Te

Aug 13, 2013, 8:40:01 PM8/13/13
to jsh...@googlegroups.com

I'm looking for a code analysis library that can do things like:

  • Find usages of some variable
  • Statically determine values of a variable constructed in a non trivial way (eg not just being assigned to a literal), or determine that it isn't statically determinable
  • maybe even determine a range of values a variable might take

It seems like jsHint uses some of this type of functionality and I think it would be great to capture it as its own library for static analysis that does things other than search code for potential errors (stuff like code transformation).

Thoughts?

Anton Kovalyov

Aug 14, 2013, 1:59:20 PM8/14/13
to jsh...@googlegroups.com
The first item is definitely possible with JSHint while the last two are tricky. I know of two interesting papers on that topic [1] [2] but, at the moment, I don't have much time to dedicate to diving deep into them and implementing something. Will be happy to collaborate with someone though!

Anton

[1] Practical Static Analysis of JavaScript Applications in the Presence of Frameworks and Libraries: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/livshits/papers/tr/jscap_tr.pdf

[2] Efficient Construction of Approximate Call Graphs for JavaScript IDE Services: http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/files/us-msridhar/ICSE-2013-Approximate.pdf