Have to trick JSCut with material thickness and V-pocket to Candle

Vegas 666

Jan 21, 2022, 5:55:59 PM1/21/22
to jscut
Hello fair fellow CNC experimenters:
At my hacker/macker space, we need to mill some fairly simple prototype aluminum sheeting on a cnc machine that thinks its a 3018, but it has a small bed size of 150 * 100 mm and no stops.
After many iterations and several late nights, we figured out that we have to trick JSCut with the material thickness or it sends way to many passes and tries to cut too deep and takes way too long.  If it were just for one shape we could stop it when it cuts through, but with multiple tool settings it just takes way too long and cuts too deep before moving on to the next tool setting.
By tricking JSCut what we mean is that the material thickness is .5 to .6 mm (maybe .55), but we have to say that it is actually .1mm to get it to poke through in a reasonable amount of time.  We mount the aluminum sheeting elevated from the board with some aggressive double sided tape by gorilla so that when it pokes through it just spins around cheezy adhesive but doesn't hurt the cut.
By this method it seems to now overshoot the cut by 25% but we got this finding by trial and error and it makes no sense.
We cut at 200mm/min, .1mm plunge rate, and 30degree tip.
It would be nice to experiment with other materials, but this disparity in basic arithmatic is breaking our heads a bit.
Anyone had this issue before?  Is it an issue with our machine or Candle, or JSCut?
We are a fully open source group only using free and open source software.  We are using a workflow Inscape to JSCut to Candle 1.1.7.  Maybe FreeCad in the future but not yet.