Settings and tools for milling thin aluminum and copper sheeting

Vegas 666

Jan 21, 2022, 5:57:17 PM1/21/22
to jscut
Hello fair fellow CNC experimenters:
I need to mill thin aluminum (.5mm) sheeting and am interested in milling also thin copper for the other participants in my hacker space.
I feel like I'm searching for the recipe to alchemically turn lead into gold when I look for settings to use with a cnc.  Its rarer even to find specs listed than for laser cutting.  Especially for V-pocket.
We have managed to hack JSCut to cut our very thin aluminum, though it is by non-standard means, see our other question ().
We are using a V-pocket tip to cut a beveled line that naturally ends up being about 1mm wide.  This is fine for our purposes but we are curious about what is the best tip for milling attractive looking peices out of thin sheet aluminum, and thin sheet copper while we are at it.
We have had some success with 200mm/sec speed (7.874 in/min), .1 mm (0.033 in) plunge depth (though this seems a bit aggressive) with our 30 deg angle V-pocket tip that is about 3.175 mm at the base, not the tip.  However we have to trick the system by saying the material thickness is 20% what it actually is or it sends way too many passes and takes hours for the smallest shape.
Any feed back about the proper speeds and plunge depths for aluminum (~.5mm) and copper (~.5mm) are greatly appreciated.  Please see our other question as it is quite the mystery.
Thanks!