Talk proposal: Maintaining your sanity while refactoring

Steven Langbroek

Jun 23, 2014, 11:56:24 AM6/23/14
to js-b...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I'd like to propose a short talk for the next BerlinJS. I started working for SponsorPay 3 months ago, and would like to talk about my experience landing in a project that's 90% feature-complete and how we're slowly refactoring to Backbone / MarionetteJS. I think with an active community constantly parading around their newest shiny toy (Grunt --> Gulp --> Broccoli for example) it's easy to forget that this is not just a hobby, and you can't just land in a project and start swinging left and right, taking down walls and expecting your teammates to be fine with that.

I would like to focus not on our specific implementation but more about the patterns to work with an existing codebase (as opposed to fighting it), and the implications for the rest of the team (we were still building traditional Rails + jQuery + jQuery UJS not so long ago).

Would love to hear your thoughts about this.

Thanks!

- Steven

Gustav Mango

Jun 24, 2014, 7:38:48 AM6/24/14
to js-b...@googlegroups.com
I think that's a great topic!

Robin Mehner

Jun 25, 2014, 7:52:29 AM6/25/14
to js-b...@googlegroups.com
I love these kind of talks! Please submit a pull request to https://github.com/berlinjs/berlinjs.org so we can add you on the website. Thank you!

Steven Langbroek

Jun 30, 2014, 4:48:10 AM6/30/14
to js-b...@googlegroups.com
Great! I just got back from vacation, but will make the PR tomorrow. Cheers guys!

Steven Langbroek

Jul 1, 2014, 5:09:57 AM7/1/14
to js-b...@googlegroups.com
Ok guys, here it is: https://github.com/berlinjs/berlinjs.org/pull/135 thanks so much for considering! Cheers!