From Robert Alexander Copied from Facebook Jan. 13, 2012

Joy

Jan 13, 2012, 1:57:11 PM1/13/12
to John Rundle High School
I just had the most interesting conversation with a long ago friend
from Grenada, MS. It was Frank Horton, whom I feel sure none of you
know, as he is now 94 years old. Recently on the Grenada HS Facebook,
they were showing the Barwin Hotel. It opened in 1936 and held the
Grenada Centennial there.
Frank Horton's 16 or 17 year o;ld beautiful future wife was Queen of
the Centennial and I stood next... to her (sbout 10 feet) when she cut
the 6' Centennial cake. I was 8 years old. Her name was Joyce Matthews
and she and he were next door neighbors. They lived right across the
street (Line Street) from the Barwin Hotel. Her brother was Frank
Matthews and both Franks were WWII heroes. Both went to GHS back in
the late 30's, as did Joyce.
They had just opened WGRM radio station there and had a big microphone
into which they asked her to speak. She said, "This cske tastes so
wonderful, YUM, YUM!" I have rememberfed those exact words for 76
years.
Frank answered the phone and is very lucid and talkative. What a joy.

Joy

Jan 13, 2012, 8:36:59 PM1/13/12
to John Rundle High School
Copied from Facebook 1-13-2012

Mary Lee Robinson Sandra Matthews, Joyce's sister and Frank M.'s
sister and Frank Horton's sister in law just passed away last week.
She was much younger than her sister and brother, class of 1958. She
was a remarkable young woman who excelled in all that s...he
undertook.

I thought the radio station in Grenada was WNAG because I recall my
daddy referring to the station as" nag". That was Sam Simmons who as I
remember could always come up with something that was laughable to
some and to some probably obnoxious. I loved my daddy regardless of
his eccentricities.
Mary Lee Simmons BoutwellSee More

Otis Little I lived in Grenada and Holcomb for most of the first 19
years of my life. I remember the radio station there was 1400 on the
AM dial, call letters WNAG with the younger generation calling it
Worst Noise Around Grenada.

.Robert Alexander My close friend, Marianne Pearson Donahoe (slass of
49) had a singing show on WNAG in the mid-forties. 15 minutes of songs
on Sat. morning, which earned her the nickname of "Little Jo Stafford"
by the station, as she sounded like her. She w...as accompanied by
Betty Bowen, a beautiful girl with curly black hair, who was a vary
talented pianist. The original station was named WGRM for a while,
then changed to WNAG, and even maybe, another name during the wear.
WNAG was owned by Bob Evans family and he ran it. He married Dorothy
Taylor, class of about 48, who lived on the northwest corner of Margin
and Line Streets.See More

rosen...@comcast.net

Jan 13, 2012, 11:16:05 PM1/13/12
to jr...@googlegroups.com

Oh, by the way, to Bobby Alexander, you were right; I should have exercised my chin/neck muscles!  I do know you made the most flattering, wonderful photographs of us for the yearbook.  Thank you!  At least I have those photos to show my grandkids that "Gammy" wasn't always such a fossil!

Rose Ann Blue Narvid

rosen...@comcast.net

Jan 13, 2012, 11:09:11 PM1/13/12
to jr...@googlegroups.com
The summer after I, Rose Ann Blue  graduated from JRHS, WNAG asked me to be Miss WNAG.  Of course, as a teen in Grenada, I was aware of the "Worst Noise Around Grenada" designation, but, hey, it was okay.  We listened to it!  As Miss WNAG, I had to go to Memphis to promote the station.  My sister  Carolyn Blue Gray, was my chaperone.  We traveled to Memphis on a Greyhound bus that actually had a stewardess.  I think it was called the Golden Eagle.  I had to go around to Memphis advertisers, and I appeared on tv with Kitty Kelly.  I forget who the male announcer was--Trent Woods?  At any rate, I embarrassed myself by getting the giggles.  I was SO naive!   Of course, I dressed to the nines and wore my Miss WNAG sash with great pride!  I'm sure those people in Memphis got a big chuckle out of it all.