JRHS Group - End of an Era

Michael Maxey

Mar 31, 2012, 2:35:06 AM3/31/12
to jr...@googlegroups.com, Michael Maxey
When my wife wants to tell me something bad she always starts with a long story that I can understand thirty seconds into will not go to a good place.  So, I always immediately ask "how bad  is it?"

To answer that question in relation to the JRHS Group, it is bad.  Someone has hacked the group and prevented me from monitoring messages.  That means almost no one can send a message to the JRHS Group to answer posts or make comments.  The message will go for moderation but I can't approve it and no one will see it -- not even me.

Now for the story: A few years back, I posted some photos of Joy's sister in China on a missions trip.  After that we started getting spam from China sent to the JRHS Google Group site.  I would moderate messages and delete the spam.  All was well until I decided to actually start reporting the spam to Google (they have an option to do that when you moderate a message).  Shortly after I started doing that, the ability to moderate messages at the site was disabled.  I assume we were hacked by someone who did not appreciate my reporting their spam to Google.  I've tried to contact Google but they only have a "no reply" email box that says "thanks for you suggestions to improve Google" after you submit it.

From a business point of view, Google needs to figure out what is happening and try to prevent it.  We have successfully moved our site to Facebook and it appears to be a really vibrant community there.  See https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/157138264345537/.  If you want to join the JRHS Facebook Group just let me know -- send me an email (my email is cc'ed on this message).

I will be posting links to the JRHS Facebook Group so you get a sense of what is being discussed and decide if you want to join or not.

If you reply to this email, please hit the "reply to all" button so I get a copy to my personal email, otherwise I will not be able to read it if it goes to the JRHS Google Group site for moderation.

Michael Maxey
JRHS 1970