[JRHS:3819] Life After Piggly Wiggly

Michael Maxey

May 5, 2010, 1:32:12 AM5/5/10
to John Rundle High School
There were a number of us that came of age working at Piggly Wiggly in Grenada during our JRHS days.  Working with Mr. Bowen and earlier with Mr. Spain at Spain's Big Star taught most of what I needed to know to succeed in a job.  I think both men stressed "quality" -- they wanted a job done the way they thought was the highest quality way to do it.  Mr. Spain early on grabbed a broom to show me how to sweep the floor properly.  I remember if you focused on work hard and doing a good job, things seemed to work out fine.

I later read about "quality" in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Persig.  His whole focus was on the relentless pursuit of perfection, of how quality became the essence of what gives our lives meaning.  When I was in New Orleans one summer I bought a first edition of Booker T. Washington's classic autobiography, "Up From Slavery."  He stressed quality as well.  I've repeated to my son what Washington wrote --"Whatever you do, do well.  If it sweeping the floor, resolve to be the best floor sweeper there is. If you do that, you will never have to worry about a job."  Finally, Jesus wrote about quality in his parables regarding the kingdom of heaven.  He gave instructions on how to achieve it -- how to have the right attitude, how to be prepared, how what you bind here will be bound in heaven and what you loose here will be loosened in heaven.

This all came back to me as I was driving to the airport in Amman, Jordan and saw a business with a big sign -- it read, "Biggly Wiggly."

Michael Maxey
JRHS 1970

theater mmaxey 004 small.jpg

Michael Gibbs

May 5, 2010, 12:09:39 PM5/5/10
to jr...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I remember very well when Mr Bowen sent me home early one busy Saturday
afternoon after I failed to properly "front" an aisle. I think I left a
jar of pickles a little too far back from the edge of the shelf. Lesson
learned.

My little brother, Ronnie, knew how to do quality work and how to
inspire others to do the same. He went on to manage several Piggly
Wiggly stores for Mr Bowen.

Mike Gibbs
JRHS 1970

>>> maxey...@gmail.com 5/4/2010 10:32:12 PM >>>

Ron Martin

May 6, 2010, 6:30:03 PM5/6/10
to jr...@googlegroups.com, <jrhs@googlegroups.com>
Oh the memories

I'll never forget the infamous T Gerald Bowen. I shall never forget
the day in my senior year I had been voted "Best Personality" by the
students at JRHS. Needless to say I was feeling pretty good as I was
at work that day at the "Pig". My feelings didn't last as Mr. Bowen
came by and scolded me for some reason and told me if I didn't improve
my personality he was going to have to let me go. I immediately
thought Oh Well, maybe my classmates were wrong. He taught us all
alot even though we didn't realize it at the time. I'll never forget
Mr Bowen because when I became engaged, the first gift we received was
from Mr Bowen.

Ron Martin
Class of 70

Sent from my iPhone

Ron

On May 5, 2010, at 11:09 AM, "Michael Gibbs"

Michael Maxey

Aug 15, 2013, 6:43:32 PM8/15/13
to jr...@googlegroups.com, John Rundle High School
Sitting here being nostalgic and reading through old posts on the JRHS Google Group site.  This is why I told Joy a couple of weeks ago that we needed to try to keep the group going -- for the history we have in the old posts.  I hope Mike Gibbs is still out there.  I hear from Ronnie Martin on Facebook now and then.  We learned a lot together at Big Star and Piggly Wiggly.

In terms of the present, I've been to Mississippi three times in the last six weeks getting my daughter settled in for her Teach for America job in the Delta.  Drew Mississippi is not Chicago and the Delta is a long way from the small, Christian college she graduated from in June.  She is having a rough time and I know how she feels.  I just keep going back to what my mother and people like T. Gerald Bowen and Mr. Spain taught us to do in the face of adversity: keep working.  Prayers are welcome.  God has his plans and his time in moving things forward.  I am asking for strength for my daughter and wisdom for me in how to be supportive.  Let's pray for those kids as well -- she's teaching second grade and I sat in on her class last week.  They are an eager and excited bunch of children who seem to believe that the future really is unlimited.

Michael Maxey
JRHS 1970

Ron Martin

Aug 15, 2013, 9:15:16 PM8/15/13
to jr...@googlegroups.com, jr...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

T. Gerald Bowen offered me my first real job while in high school. He taught me a lot about business. Some I agreed with, some I didn't. Those were good times. I often am saddened thinking our children may not have experienced those kinds of times we had when we were young.

One thing I'll never forget. Our senior year, I had just been voted best personality in Who's Who. The very day I was bestowed this honor by my classmates, I went to work after school at PW. While working the "glass isle" fronting the shelves, Mr Bowen tapped me on the shoulder and in his own way told me emphatically that if my personality didn't improve, I would be let go.

I drove home after work that day totally confused. Maybe my classmates were wrong and he was right.

Working at PW was never dull. I think we could write a book of memories at the "Pig"

QUI   QUI   QUI
IT'S PIGGLY WIGGLY FOR ME.

Ron

Michael Maxey

Aug 15, 2013, 9:33:26 PM8/15/13
to John Rundle High School
Ron,

We'll have to start a separate discussion about Piggly Wiggly.  I submitted P.W.W.A. (Piggly Wiggly Workers of America) as a group for listing by my name in the JRHS annual.  The annual staff and, I'm sure, the teachers were not amused -- no mention was made of PWWA in the 1970 Bulldog.  That's too bad because it was a great learning experience -- good and bad.

Mike Maxey
JRHS 1970
--
Michael Maxey